Mould in bathrooms and external walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope everyone is enjoying the heat!

I have some black mould in the bathroom ceiling and in the external walls in the bedrooms I did notice that the windows don't have any trickle vents so I will install them.

In the meantime, before I repaint can anyone recommend how to get rid of the mould? I have attached some pics

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3224.jpg
    IMG_3224.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3228.jpg
    IMG_3228.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3229.jpg
    IMG_3229.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Hi there - I'm a mould remediation professional happy to give some tips to consider...

The first thing to do is to focus on the cause of the mould, which you have started to do. Otherwise, removal may only be temporary and the mould can return if the conditions stay the same. Without knowing much about the property...

Given it is in a bathroom, it's pretty clear that the moisture will be coming from bathing and showering. This water vapour will likely be settling on surfaces as moisture (which mould needs to grow). Mould also needs - an organic surface (such as plaster) to grow on, the right temperature, lack of disturbance, lack of air movement, it prefers not to have direct sunlight too. Of all those things, poor ventilation is most commonly the main cause but the more of the other things you can help with the better the chance you have of getting on top of it.

You have identified the ventilation issue and trickle vents will very likely help. Think about seeing if the extractor fan (if there is one) is working well and big enough for the room as that is a big help. Also, is it set to run a few minutes after use if you can.

If you are able to in the meantime and it is safe to do so, especially as the weather is not cold, try to keep windows open for a while after a bath or shower - ideally (and again if practical and safe) when the window is open and you have finished the bath or shower, keep the bathroom door closed so that the steam does not go into the bedrooms and cause problems there.

As an aside, if your room is north facing, it is always going to be more likely to be at risk of mould problems.

This article about mould on walls, might provide some other useful information for you.

Thanks and good luck.

Obviously, just to add, make sure you are aware of the health risks of mould especially around vulnerable people. Be careful.

Not a damp expert as above but I am a plumber
Seen this a few times usually caused by ventilation in the bathroom as people don’t usually open windows etc

Good advice from above but I’d just add I now tend to install extractor fans to the ceiling and not the wall were possible a steam rises! Also I tend to connect the extractor to the lighting circuit so it comes
On with the lights as a lot of people think oh just have a quick shower won’t bothering turning on the fan or opening the window.

As above the reason for it needs addressing before anything else

Sponsored Links
As above, get the biggest extractor fan you can. Ideally not a weedy little one that sits on a wall, but a larger one sat in a loft

Lol at night probab!y a lot lol , during the day open a window lol, seems a lot of customers don't want the hassle.of.pulling a piece of string lol

You could connect it.to the permenant but I have a feeling that the above issue is caused by this issue

If only there could be some kind of clever device that fitted into the wall that you could open and close at your will to let hot air out.

Freddie , you invent it and I’ll submit your idea to dragons den and only take 20% lol either wood or pvc will do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back