Mould on ceiling / walls/ window frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a pretty bad mould build up on a bedroom ceiling. Black specks/little patches keep appearing. Also, on the wooden window frames and concrete window surrounds. I have single glazed windows which I suspect could be part of the problem.

I've tried using a HG mould spray purchased from B&Q:
http://www.diy.com/nav/rooms/indoor...mescale_removers/HG-Mould-Spray-0-5L-10287856

Also tried the 1/4 bleach and 3/4 water mix as an anti-mould measure

But whatever I use the mould keeps coming back and it's an absolute nightmare to get rid of and then repaint over.

Another thing I've noticed is that the ceiling near the roof feels wetter/colder than the ceiling further away from the window. I'm hoping that I don't have a damp problem.

Does anyone know anything I can do/use to get rid of the mould permanently? And to keep it away for good...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Somebody else may be able to help you with causes and being able to rectify the source of any damp but as far as paint goes zinsser perma white could be an option for you.

You need to check that your insulation is sufficient and that you have adequate air flow in the room. Do you dry laundry on a clothes horse in the room as this can also cause damp.

Could be an idea to top up the insulation above if required and maybe add a pacifier vent to improve the air flow.

Your maybe better off asking in the building section for better info on how to solve the source of the mould growth and possible solutions for it as this will need rectifying before any painting.

When you have cured the source then you will need to wash down with a fungicidal wash then paint with a mould inhibiting paint as this should slow down any future problems. There are a lot of choice when it comes to this kind of paint that will reflect price and finish so shop around.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back