Damp / mould problem *with muchos PICS!*

airbricks are usually choked with cobwebs and dust. I'd probably hose it from the inside.

If you ever tidy the wall, lay a mortar bed sloping so any water will run outwards
Do you mean the boundary wall to the neighbours? by the way the garden does slope downwards

Sponsored Links
no, I mean the hole in the wall where your airbrick is. it looks a bit damp, and rain may blow in, depending on wind direction. A sloping slate bed will prevent the bricks getting wet.

The brickwork is a bit shabby so you could tidy it up with sand and cement mortar, if you like things to look neat.

no, I mean the hole in the wall where your airbrick is. it looks a bit damp, and rain may blow in, depending on wind direction. A sloping slate bed will prevent the bricks getting wet.

The brickwork is a bit shabby so you could tidy it up with sand and cement mortar, if you like things to look neat.
Sorry John, just want to clarify as I may be being a bit thick. Do you mean
  1. Cut out the air brick
  2. Clear the mortar around it
  3. Replace with new mortar such that the air brick will slant downwards by maybe 5 to 10 degrees
  4. Done!

By the way, how do I know where the DPC layer is or if there even is one? All I can see is brickwork going all the way down to the cellar.. considering the house was built ~100 years ago where would the original DPC layer be

Sponsored Links
Nine inches (two bricks) above where ground level used to be when the house was built. It is often easiest to see under a doorstep. Once you've found it, it is pretty sure to be at the same height all round the house.

In some cases, there might not be one, especially in stone houses.

It's a cold bridge condensation issue and easily remedied with insulation - as stated. It's not really remedied with ventilation either. You could lean anything up against that wall and mould will appear, at this time of year, so kitchen units in place have go no chance.

Insulation - thicker the better.

It's a cold bridge condensation issue and easily remedied with insulation - as stated. It's not really remedied with ventilation either. You could lean anything up against that wall and mould will appear, at this time of year, so kitchen units in place have go no chance.

Insulation - thicker the better.
What would be the best way to insulate a wall like that. So on the outside is stone, then there is a cavity, inside is brick (the brick is plastered). In the past (many years ago) somebody came to ask me about cavity wall insulation - (they were doing it free at the time) - however they decided I couldn't get it done - i think they said it would cause damp?!? However since then I know some of the neighbours have had it so maybe there's a new type of cavity wall insulation suitable for these old houses

So how would you insulate a wall like this?

By the way, how do I know where the DPC layer is or if there even is one? All I can see is brickwork going all the way down to the cellar.. considering the house was built ~100 years ago where would the original DPC layer be

But you say it is a cavity wall with a brick inner leaf?

We don't have them round here but I didn't think that was a hundred-year-old building practice.

I'd expect cavity walls to have a DPC

But you say it is a cavity wall with a brick inner leaf?

We don't have them round here but I didn't think that was a hundred-year-old building practice.

I'd expect cavity walls to have a DPC
So the outside wall is stone, internal is brick which goes all the way into the cellar. Cant see anything that stands out as a DPC layer to me. Most of the bricks in the cellar have been painted (before my time), heres a video of the cellar not sure if you can deduce anything from it

the squirting a hose through the air brick didnt go to plan! Wife was on the other side as she turned the garden tap on and got soaked (the air vent is right next to it).. the pressure was so high a lot of water came back and went into the cavity. Strangely though it just stayed there in a puddle so vacuumed it with the old wet-and dry (the water didnt go down the cavity into the cellar). On closer inspection the air brick is designed so the vents slope downwards.. no chance of rain getting through. Thanks @JohnD - you almost got me divorced! ;)

air brick is clean now, anti-mould paint first coat is applied.. will leave the doors off the cupboards for a while so the walls can get more ventilation, also advised the missus to leave a window open a little; especially when cooking, etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back