Damp on a solid exterior wall in Victorian house

Think what you've started is sufficient, try to stager the boards, so the plasterboard joints are not with the insulation board joints... where you can. I laid some of my insulation boards horizontally and plasterboard vertically, where it fitted best.

On an advisory note, I've noticed you've already plasterboarded the window reveals.
It would have been better to add a 20mm+ insulation board around the reveal, before the plasterboard goes on, that way you are avoiding all 'thermal bridges' for cold spots etc which can lead to mould spots.

Good job, thanks for the update.

Sponsored Links
Is there any argument for starting the next board on the right of the wall rather than continuing from left to right?

Yes, based on your second photo I would definitely put the next plasterboard against the right of the wall, leaving just a small bit below the window.

Yes, based on your second photo I would definitely put the next plasterboard against the right of the wall, leaving just a small bit below the window.
I would then be following the insulation joints which appears to be something I should avoid?
I’m also concerned that when I meet in the middle, it may be difficult to level the right and left pieces...

It would have been better to add a 20mm+ insulation board around the reveal, before the plasterboard goes on, that way you are avoiding all 'thermal bridges' for cold spots etc which can lead to mould spots.

I wanted to solve this but had two issues, there isn’t much room on the side of the windows and by the time I got 20mm insulation and a board on, there wouldn’t be much plastic left. Also, I couldn’t source any foil based insulation in that size locally and had to get the job done. I will monitor this and revisit if necessary.
Thanks for all the guidance pal.

Sponsored Links
UPDATE: Finished this yesterday and took some pics whilst the paint was drying. Once again, thanks so much for all the advice on this thread. It helped immensely. Will post again in 6-12 months to let you know what difference it has made.

upload_2020-7-18_8-43-19.png

upload_2020-7-18_8-43-47.png

upload_2020-7-18_8-44-28.png

upload_2020-7-18_8-45-4.png

upload_2020-7-18_8-45-50.png

upload_2020-7-18_8-46-56.png

upload_2020-7-18_8-47-36.png

upload_2020-7-18_8-48-10.png

upload_2020-7-18_8-49-8.png

Thanks for the update. Looks good.

Being curious, did you use taper edge plasterboards or just Standard square edge? Take it you just feathered in the plaster/filler. And didn’t plaster the whole wall.... looks flat on the pics. (y)

Taper edge boards but many of the joins ended up being squared ends because of the arrangement of boards. I used paper tape and easifill to finish these. I spread the easifill over a wider area to avoid the raised effect. Very happy with how this works and didn’t feel the need to skim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back