Damp on gable end wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Im after some advice please.

Im actually asking this for a friend of mine who doesnt have a clue about anything but footy lol so I said i would help in out

my mate lives in a concrete prefabricated ex council house. not sure when it was built but must be at least 30 to 40 years old. Anyway he lives on the end house of a block of 'kind of' terraced houses. I think they call them town houses

anyway because he lives in the end house, he has a full gable end wall. Now this wall has been causing him problems for a few years but has only just asked me to help him out even though I knew there was something wrong (didnt want to poke my nose in but did hint a while back).

This wall, inside his house always feels really cold and moist. He has painted the plaster numerous times but it just flakes off which I told him it would do unless he sorts the cause out. He has a upstairs bathroom which is next to the problem wall. All the grout has gone mouldy even though it was only put in 12 months ago. I can see mold on the ceiling where this wall meets the upstairs ceiling. now he has had a couple of builders out that cant find a cause. he's been told these buildings dont have a cavity as he cant have cavity insulated walls. he said the problem is worse in the winter.

now, ive not had a good look myself yet but on first impressions, i feel the upstairs part of the wall is worse than the downstairs part. I was always told that damp will only rise 1 metre in height so if this is true, surely its got nothing to do with the foundations of the house. As is a gable end wall, im think that rain is somehow getting in and causing this. This is only a gut feeling but I would really appreciate some feedback from you guys as to what you may think is the cause or could be the cause.

any advice you have would be much appreciated by me and my friend

Sponsored Links
Only solution is some form of external insulation / render :idea: I don`t know the trade names for this process , but you should be able to google sucessfully ;)

Sponsored Links
Only solution is some form of external insulation / render :idea: I don`t know the trade names for this process , but you should be able to google sucessfully ;)

thanx for the reply!

does that mean you think then thats its condesation rather than damp??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back