Gable end - interior wall damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, first of all one of our bedrooms has a damp wall, there's a large damp patch on it which gets worse when it rains. It's in the area around the chimney and we're an end terrace so it's the gable end.

We've had builders and roofers around who have all said different things - one said the chimney needed blocking - another said it was blocked, someone else said that the exterior wall needed repointing.
We paid good money to get the roof sorted but again this wasn't the cause.

Finally the last builder said it was condensation and that we needed to insulate the cavity wall.

I'm at a loss - I just feel that we're going to get burnt financially with this

Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Sponsored Links
brickwork and therefore plaster contaminated with hygroscopic i.e moisture attracting salts (chlorides/nitrates) is common in chimneys . When it rains the relative humidity rises and the salts draw more moisture. Replastering is only long term solution using renovating render

Is this damp around the chimney breast or on it? And top. middle or bottom of the wall?

If on it, is it where the line of the flue would be?

And is it a round patch, or a horizontal or vertical patch of damp?

Hi thanks for the advice,
The damp patch is in the centre of the room below the ceiling and is probably about 3 feet long and 4 feet wide so it's probably the top 3/4's of the wall.

Judging by your comments it's definitely connected to the chimney (the chimney goes outwards so it doesn't have a recess in the bedroom)

If it's a case of getting the plaster removed back to the brickwork and rendered and replastered have you got any idea what the cost of this might be?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me that if the moisture problem is so high up the chimney breast, then it's probably penetrating damp (rain water ) even more so considering the remainder of the chimney breast is external. Check your pointing for anything obvious. If the chimney isn't used any more it may need capping off to stop rainwater.

If you can find the source then the chimney breast will dry out eventually but may need re-plastering if it's been a long term problem.

hope this helps..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back