Damp on inside wall?? Help...

Looks like the walls been tarred at some point probably continuous from the floor dpm.

Where do those central heating pipes go?

Have you noticed any drop in your boiler pressure.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

No idea where they go but their is a rad the other side of that wall too.
The boiler pressure was leaking a few months ago but it was another radiator further down which was my fault because I took it off to redecorate and it didnt seal properly, and since then its been a constant 1.5bar.

The plaster was very soft at the bottom of the wall to be honest.

Guys,
I got a moisture meter from eBay and used it on the bottom of this brick wall and moisture level in the area of that black stuff is 23-25%.

Would this floor be a concrete floor? and if so how do I go about damp proofing it.

J

Sponsored Links
I actually took some more plaster off today- its definitely like a paint. I think them pipes do go left back to the boiler

I actually took some more plaster off today- its definitely like a paint. I think them pipes do go left back to the boiler

Is it worth getting the skirt off in the room with damp showing now?
Sounds like a lot pipes in this vicinity. If you're careful, damage to plaster etc should be straight forward to rectify after.

I dont know if you can tell from this picture but their is also another room to the LEFT of that damp patch. This room is also just the other side of that downstairs bathroom, although only a small portion of it. Behind the radiator and above skirting board level we have damp patch showing here also. I would say that behind the radiator in this room it is borderline being an outside wall tho

OK guys took a bit more off last night. To be honest I am no expert but the wall look in good condition to be honest.

I am thinking next plan of attack is to remove the toilet and check for leaks.

Their is also a outside gulley which ill check for leaks on.... could it be leaking here into the foundations and rising up?

Looks like there has been problems in that area in the past hence the bitumen on the wall.

You wont be able to detect any leaks which are below the concrete screed/slab thats why i suggested not using the bathroom for a while...see if it dries up.

Once you have ascertained you dont have any leaks from the supply or waste pipes you need to look at either a breach in the dpm if you have one, or look at a dpc injection in that corner.

Alastair,
Thanks for your reply.

I have since disconnected the water feed into the toilet and hand basin so lets see what goes on.

Ive also noticed the toilet room has a gulley in the other corner... I am also investigating the possibility that this could be blocked or not plumbed into the drains!

Would their be any DPC on this wall around the bitumen ? I know on the outside wall it has slate.

There should be a slate dpc on the internal wall .

The ground level next to the drain looks a bit high in relation to the dpc it should be a minimum 150mm below.

The pointing and brickwork could be doing with some attention as well.

Ill take a wire brush to the black bricks and see if I can reveal any slate.

If my theory is correct and the original house used the downstairs toilet as an open porch it may explain a lot.

How would be the best way to test that drain? Stick my hands down it and feel for cracks or throw water down it and see where it goes

The slate dpc will be beneath floor level.

do a water test to see if its clear.

Where does it drain to?

Lift some of the bricks along the edge of the wall and see if the ground is excessively sodden...this would indicate a leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back