Damp on inside wall?? Help...

Guys,
I have had a few people around now to quote for some DPC injection and this is the general feeling (Speaking with the two tradesmen).

Generally in the 1930's they would have probably used the downstairs porch and toilet as a "open porch" hence why it is at a different level to the rest of my home. They suspect that underneath the Quarry Tiles their is no DPC which was typical of the middle 1900s, and suspect their is nothing but a bit of sand and lime mix.

The advice I have been given is to dig down 6", removing all the old tiles and put some insulation down their and fill on top with some concrete mix. Then DPC the inside and outside walls to give a new "barrier" stopping the damp coming back.

I will also probably have to hack off about 1.5MTRS up the wall back to brick as the existing render (inside) is likely contaminated and its best to be safe especially given that the entire room will be re plastered.

hes also suggested that i get some baby bottle brush and clean out them holes in the air bricks on the other room to ensure that the wood doesn't rot and keeps the air flow going.

Does this sound about right?

Sponsored Links
Well guys...

I bit the bullet and ripped of skirting under the damp patch. to my surprise the brick work was bone dry and the original lime mix render appeared underneath crumbled as I removed old plaster...

The floor appears to also be solid which was a shock as I thought it was a wooden floor!

I need to acertain weather the damp is coming up through the concrete floor in toilet (effectively bridging the damp proof course) or if its coming through the raised concrete floor!?!

Bloody damp!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back