Damp on internal stair wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently renovating a 1920s house. I was aware that there was damp on an internal wall adjacent to the stairs, as there was a leak in what was the bathroom, which backs on to the stairs. My builder assured me that the damp would go once the walls dried out.

The wall has since been replastered and the heating has been on. It did appear to dry out but the damp has returned, now that the heating has been off for a week or so. The photos show the stairs before and after, with the damp remaining. The damp also shows in the lounge which can also be seen in one of the photos next to the socket. The old bathroom can also be seen after it was stripped back to the bare brick (this has since been dry lined for a utility room).

The floor in the stairs and hall is concrete. The floor in the adjacent lounge is suspended timber and the floor on what was the old bathroom is concrete. The latter was at one time an outhouse but has since been incorporated into the main house many years ago.

It's been about 3 months since replastering, with the heating on constantly for most of that time until recently. I'm reluctant to start hacking off plaster, now that it is carpeted, so any answers would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's funny how the tide mark follows a parallel line with the stair string....?

Where is the damp coming from?

Yes it's strange. The damp originally came from the bathroom behind but it spread a fair distance and seemed to follow the stair. I'm hoping it just needs to dry out more but it's taking ages. Very puzzling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back