Damp on internal wall of external facing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My property is a 1901 mid-terrace property and the front external wall has damp running across almost the whole width of the wall about a foot up. The wall is wet to touch underneath the windowsil too.

I'm aware of the same issue downstairs directly underneath this however has only risen again to about the windowsil and no higher.

The windows have condensation on them and I have water gathering on the sil.

I'm not aware of any leaks as when I moved into the property the internal seals were re-done around the uPVC windows.

Any tips on damp-proofing... will I need to remove the plaster and damp-proof the bricks below for a better result...?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello,

My property is a 1901 mid-terrace property and the front external wall has damp running across almost the whole width of the wall about a foot up. The wall is wet to touch underneath the windowsil too.

I'm aware of the same issue downstairs directly underneath this however has only risen again to about the windowsil and no higher.

The windows have condensation on them and I have water gathering on the sil.

I'm not aware of any leaks as when I moved into the property the internal seals were re-done around the uPVC windows.

Any tips on damp-proofing... will I need to remove the plaster and damp-proof the bricks below for a better result...?

Thanks

Hi, you have RISING DAMP, which is when the DPC (Damp proof course) at the base of the wall has failed, allowing moisture up into the house and yes it will stop at about 4 feet, this is,without going into detail, basically gravity and the "water table" (the natural level that water finds itself).

You need to have a chemical DPC injected.

For more info on damp, feel free to read the following and i hoep it helps.

http://www.********.co.uk/article/damp-house-effects-howto

[/url]

Sponsored Links
There is no way rising damp can be diagnosed over the internet.
I would not touch this person with a barge pole.
Sounds very much like a Chemical Damp-proof salesman.
Rising damp is very rare and usually the cause is condensation or moisture ingress.
If you are not confident call in a reputable surveyor but not from a Chemical Co. You know what they will tell you.
Other common problem is soil level too high against wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back