Painting Over Damp Wall/Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to paint an internal wall which has had a broken gutter leaking onto it externally for a long time. It has been partially re-skimmed and the new plaster is still damp; the existing plaster is also showing damp coming through where I've given it a fresh coat of emulsion.

I know the wall will take a long time to dry out completely now the gutter has been fixed, but could anyone recommend a damp-proof paint which will allow me to make it look presentable now?

Sponsored Links
The reality of your question is no, contract emulsions are in a way formulated to allow damp plaster to continue to both breathe and continue to dry after applied. Yet I dont think that they would be applicable in your situation.

Sorry but you should allow the plaster to become dry before you attempt a repaint.

Dec.

Run a rehumidifier in the room, and keep the room warm - once its thoroughly dried only then paint the wall.

You can't re-paint until the plaster has thoroughly dried out. If you try it will only delay drying time even more, the paint will eventually blister & fall off & will have all sorts of crud growing behind it.

Sponsored Links
I've had a big heater against it for most of the day, it is drying but is very patchy. I'll keep on trying to dry it out before I do anything.

Dry the plaster previous to apply paints otherwise patch will be formed. Heaters could not have a healthier result. It could only dry on the outside surface but not in the interior. Moisture will remain in walls resulting terrible impressions.

You may want to try Watertight from Promain.co.uk we used it on our basement walls that were constantly wet. I just cleaned the surface, wiped off the excess moisture and applied the paint. Apparently it works because its cement based unlike other paints. been on the walls for a few years now with no more damp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back