Damp or Condensation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1930s semi. Im told there are no cavities in the brickwork and therefore no insulation. When i bought the house a few years ago the survey said (not family fortunes) that there is localised rising damp. Having now read a lot about this i dont think it is rising damp, but im no expert.

What has happened, a line of yellow stain, wet to touch appeared all along the inside adjoining wall, an inch above the skirting board. On removing all of the wallpaper i have now found that the house when re-wired was done what looks to me in a very cheap/lazy way. All along this wall with the 'damp', the plaster/brick has been chipped away and electrical wires inlaid and covered over with a metal plate. I think it maybe this metal plate causing the damp somehow. Most of this electrical wiring is now defunct and has been killed off by an electrician. Should i then remove this and use filler to level the wall off, then re paper? IS this likely to stop the damp stain coming back?

Also the front of the house has bay windows (upstairs and down) and in the bedroom the wallpaper is very easy to pull off, its not damp to touch but when removed the walls have a green colouring. doesnt look like mould but could be a form of it. Is there something i could treat the wall with before i re-decorate?

The gutters were blocked and have since been cleared and the external brickwork blown in some areas (looks like from water running don the house due to blocked gutters) has now been repaired and all re-painted. In case this has an influence on whats happening inside.

Can anyone give me any practical advice please. Really don't want the mess and expense of damp proof if possible

Thank you

ClaireBear :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
the metal might be causing condensation if it is cold

easy test for condensation:
tightly tape a piece of clear pastic to the wall. if moisture forms on the room side, it is condensation; if it forms on the wall side, it is coming from the wall.

also look at ground height outside the house relative to the dpc, especially if it has been raised by paving. look for outside wetness e.g. dripping gutters, blocked drains, rusty downpipes

attach some pics if you can

Thanks for that i will try the tip you have given to see if it is condensation. I have attached photos.

All drains and gutters are clear, as recently cleared a few months back

cheers

The yellow stain is rust from the metal casing, do you dry clothes indoors, its a major cause of damp walls along with poor ventilation.Your bay windows are probably poorly sealed against the weather or condensation is forming on windows and running off window ledge [loose paper around /below windows?] and rooms should have vents, have they been blocked?

Sponsored Links
The yellow stain is rust from the metal casing, do you dry clothes indoors, its a major cause of damp walls along with poor ventilation.Your bay windows are probably poorly sealed against the weather or condensation is forming on windows and running off window ledge [loose paper around /below windows?] and rooms should have vents, have they been blocked?

I do dry washing indoors, so that makes sense. There is only one vent i know of under the stairs which isnt blocked. The only other i can think of is in the bathroom but is blocked! The loose paper in the bay was all underneath it yes, so looks like you could be right. thank you :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back