Damp oversite.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1.4 metre void under our suspended wood floor. The oversite below is always damp and on one side of the property there is signs of water that has percolated in at footing level and run to the back of the house.

I have cleaned out all the builders muck and found that the damp has not risen up any of the walls but we are replacing rotten floor joists and have added several new air bricks.

The house does suffer higher than normal humidity and in the winter the windows do run with condensation, but there is no mould around walls or ceilings.

My question is; should I cover the oversite with a dpm covered with a layer of gravel with the dpm coming up the walls about 300 metre. Gravel layer would be just enough to hold the dpm down.

We are gradually replacing the joists on the ground floor and fitting insulation between them and will probably put a dpm (depending on opinion, got a thread on here about this) over the joists before relaying the floorboards. Would this do away with the need to cover the oversite and reduce the amount of humidity getting into the house?

Richard

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back