Damp patch on external brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New build property (2020)

Have recently noticed a damp patch situated above the door frame and below the window frame.

Same patch is noticeable in all weathers, although seems to “dry” in warmer weather.

Was wondering if anyone can shed some light on the cause and possible remedial action?
A138278B-1B9C-4598-BE3E-2CF54C74BC16.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Leaking water pipe, (radiator heating suppl/return pipe), has sprung a leak under the floorboards and is squirting water at the interior wall and somehow crossing the cavity? Do have any radiators or pipework running parallel to this wall under the floor boards?

Hi,

There are no radiators running parallel to that wall and there’s no visual signs inside the house of a potential leak.

Thanks

Next time it's raining, sit in the car and look to see if you're getting any runoff from the window or roof to that spot.

Sponsored Links
Next time it's raining, sit in the car and look to see if you're getting any runoff from the window or roof to that spot.
This 100%, the window to the left looks damp in same area, the cills could be falling to the left, check you have drip under the cill, if not you could form one with a bead of silicone

This 100%, the window to the left looks damp in same area, the cills could be falling to the left, check you have drip under the cill, if not you could form one with a bead of silicone
Great, thanks. I will have a look.

Might be a stupid question, but why would the window potentially have been installed with no drip groove -

Poor craftsmanship?

Design?

Thanks

Hard to be sure from the photo, but as the frames were set well back and there is an oversailing course directly under, the drip may be hidden.

Thanks, my DIY/building knowledge is poor.

If it’s the case of a missing/hidden drip, is it simple enough to fix by just adding a bead of silicone? Or best to get a tradesperson in to inspect and remediate?

I will also upload some closer up images later on of the windowsill

Cheers

If you have a ladder and a hose with a mister you could test the window and see how it runs off the cill. Generally rainfall is pretty even over a wall, so parts that are getting soaked usually show up.

Hi all,

Thanks for your help, looks like I’ve located the problem. See images attached.

As you said, the water drains to the left. The groove does it’s job to an extent, but some droplets are falling straight onto the brickwork.

Any suggestions on steps to take next?

Thanks!
B955C674-6B0B-4FD4-AC04-475A19EDDF5C.jpeg
57DAB744-1AD9-4D54-BA64-C826088BBB67.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back