Damp Patch on Parapet Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had an extension built that includes this newly built parapet wall which supports a lean-to conservatory roof.

There is a large damp patch on the internal face of the wall, so I have so far deferred plastering while I investigate the cause and get it fixed.

I originally assumed that the conservatory roof was imperfectly sealed and/or the flashing was suspect, but the glazing company (who have a very high reputation in the area) are adamant that there is nothing wrong there. Instead, they said that water is probably getting into the cavity from the joints in the coping stones, and after soaking the insulation material, the moisture is penetrating the brickwork. They said that the copings should have been bedded on DPC, and that the joints will never be reliable/weatherproof.

Does this sound like the most likely explanation?

Sponsored Links
Who contracted the building of the wall? You or the conservatory company? If you, then the conservatory company can blame you/ the builder for the lack of DPC and damp penetration. If it was the conservatory company then they are wholly responsible for the entire structure, even if they subbed out the brickwork.

Who contracted the building of the wall? You or the conservatory company?

Me: so obviously I can't 'just' say "It leaks, fix it!". Would it be normal to put DPC under coping stones on a parapet wall?

parapet-wall.jpg

looks like it!

Sponsored Links
its looks like there is no dpc below copeing stones , and why have they built the brickwork that height ?

you cant put a tray in stepped brickwork

it looks like something is out of square as the lead is not running parallel to the roof !!!!!!!

ah yes forgot about them plastic jobs, however is their enough brickwork their to put them in ?

whats the reason for putting a stepped flashing in couldn't the brickwork be lower so the lead upstand went straight under the coping ??

should the lead not be fitted under the copings, if the top brickworkgets wet it could travel to the bricks below surely?

Not if a cavity tray is fitted
If that was the case then chimney stacks would be all covered in lead!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back