Damp patches in bottom corner of windows. Problem found. Repair advice

You are just investigating point of damp not how its entering
I thought I had found the entry point. Water was able to get in by running along the back of the cill, under the frame and then into the wall on the sides as there was no sealant at the edge. I suppose this was only one of the ways it is getting in..

Have you checked around the top of the window?
Not yet but will do now. I had thought I had found the issue as everything was matching what I have been reading on here...

Obviously will need to look elsewhere. Hopefully it's just a silicone job. All our windows are showing the same damp corners.. I had planned to do this same treatment to all. Now I'm not so sure.

Sponsored Links
As foxhole above.
Get someone to pull and refix the frame. Or do one yourself, and learn how to do it, and then do the rest.
You render up to the frame not on to it.
There's something not right about that frame, something's missing but i cant put my finger on it - I'm not a frame fitter as such.

I would love to try and fix this from the outside without having to do anymore rendering or removing the whole window....if possible. Here's some photos from the outside

Left side (smaller damp patch)
IMG_20200429_122951.jpg IMG_20200429_123030.jpg IMG_20200429_123041.jpg IMG_20200429_123521.jpg

Right side (larger damp patch)
IMG_20200429_123144.jpg IMG_20200429_123410_1.jpg IMG_20200429_123416.jpg IMG_20200429_123512.jpg IMG_20200429_123605.jpg

Shall I just silicone every edge that comes of the window frame?

Just for fun, here is the same thing happening on the back bedroom window. This window was fine for over a year, went away on holiday last year during some stormy weather, came home and found this...

IMG_20200429_131120.jpg

All windows show signs of the caulk in the corners coming away. You can see the gap on the caulk on the above photo. One bedroom doesnt show the damp patches (yet) but is showing the caulk coming away in the same way...

Sponsored Links
I would be looking at how the water is falling off the roof and into the gutter as well. The left side , it doesn't look like the end cap is on correctly , and maybe leaking water into the top of the frame , which is running down internally but manifesting in the corners . Again on the right side the gutter doesn't go to the end of the roof. Just a suggestion , may be wide of the mark but I think worth considering

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back