Damp patches in concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a potential problem with a concrete floor in a utility room that I need some advice with.

The concrete floor is lin my utility room which is a gable end extension to the mail house. The concrete floor is level with the outside drive, and there are a couple of steps up into the main house which has a higher floor level.

We bought the house about 6 months ago, when there was lino on the floor. When we lifted the lino, there was a lot of moisture underneath. That dried out pretty quickly when the concrete was exposed. But we now get a lot of damp patches wherever anything (boxes, shoes etc) rests on the concrete. For example, we have some IKEA boxes where the box bottom doesn't touch the concrete floor. But when we move the boxes, there's a damp patch underneath.

I haven't dug down outside to see if I can see a DPC yet. I was wondering if the dampness was simply damp air condensing on the concrete floor. When the boxes are moved, the dampness dries up pretty quickly.

My big worry is that I don't have a dpc. I plan to tile the floor and don't want to do that until I'm sure that's a good idea.

Thanks for any help.

Brian

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back