Concrete ground floor, base of wall - damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

When it rains, my concrete floor gets damp in patches alongside the bay windows at the front of the house. A day or so of dry weather and the floor dries out.

I think rather than the concrete floor being damp, the brick work at the base of the wall is wet and this is transferring to the contrete floor. The DPC is approx half a brick heigh above the concrete floor, which obviously doesn't help. Bay is circe 1930's, bitumen DPC on outside and inside, and the concrete floor is bare where is touches the brickwork inside (behind the skirtings which are missing currently).

Outside ground level is 6 inches below the external DPC.

No roof leaks. Pointing is good.

Cavity of bay is not insulated.

Is it likely the cavity base is filled with crud and that crud is wicking moisture from outside and sharing it with the inside wall?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
............/
The DPC is approx half a brick heigh above the concrete floor, which obviously doesn't help. ............ and the concrete floor is bare where is touches the brickwork inside (behind the skirtings which are missing currently).

That sounds like where your problem is, a damp bridge from the wall below dpc to the concrete floor.
More recent builds require the dpm to be lapped up the wall to meet the dpc.

Have you checked for leaking guttering , downpipes , ground levels outside higher than inside? bad drainage , leaking pipes , etc etc?

my house has no dpc or dpm, it has no guttering just a good overhang and it never gets damp.

The water has to be coming from somewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back