Damp patches inside and outside walls including fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

PLEASE HELP!

I have patches of damp about 1-1.5m off the ground on the end gable wall of my 1860's end terrace. The patches are on the internal painted lounge walls and there are matching patches of damp constantly visible on the external aspect of the wall.

I am particually worried as these patches meet an orginal cast iron fireplace i have had put in.

so far I have:

Had the chimney lined (for the fire not the damp but i was hoping this would help).

Repointed an are near where the main damp patch starts (although on other wall of the corner)

Checked the guttering - no problems here.

I have also had a 'damp expert' (from a damp proofing company) tell me it is a mixture of pentrating damp (from rain) and rising damp - he suggested a new damp course (it already has drill holes suggesting it has had this done in the past) and painting the outside with waterproofing to stop rain penetration. I am reluctant to redo the damp course as i don't think this will help patches this high but i may be wrong and i am also reluctant to start paintind waterproofing on the outside of an old house because in my limited understanding houses such as this need to 'breathe' and I am concerned that this will make things worse not better.

Does anyone know what the likely cause of these patches is?
Has anyone had similar problems?
Does anyone know what the solution to this might be?
Will this be damaging my cast iron fireplace?

I have included pictures of the outside, inside and fireplace in an album.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

Sponsored Links
It's warm moist air condensing in your chimney.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I had considered this but one of the chimneys (not shown in photos) is not in use so the air will be the same temp as the room and not all the patches are where the chiney's are.

would this be the case with condensation from the chimney?

Is there anything i can do to combat this if it is condensation?

Cheers,

Paulo

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back