Damp Patches on ceilings from condensation in roof space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I woke this morning to find damp patches on my bedroom ceiling- on investigation I discovered that in the roof space the tiles of the roof, which is unlined, were covered in ice.
This was obviously melting and dripping on to the ceiling.
I have read other post, which indicate that I should
vent the roof
find out where the moisture is coming from
insulate the roof

my question is if, as one person suggested you leave the loft hatch open a bit then wont that negate the insulation saving?

Is it then that the only solution is venting the roof properly by a vent of some sort.
would there be a benefit in getting the loft lined.
How much do vents or relining cost.
I am in Devon UK so woould appreciate cost in UK£

Sponsored Links
:!: Don't leave the loft hatch open. This will allow more warm moist air to rise from the house and cause more condensation.

Do you have avoidable causes of damp in your house?
- wet washing lying around or draped over radiators :(
- bathroom with no extractor fan
- tumble-drier that doesn't vent outside
- hot steamy water in the boiler's feed and expansion tank due to a fault with the central heating system

If your roof is unlined (no felt so you can see the undersides of the tiles) it would normally already be well-ventilated

Do you have insulation (e.g. rolls of fibreglass or similar) lying on the ceiling of the rooms below the loft?

my upstairs bedrooms are half in the roof space and i have two roof windows. these are closed at night and i turn the heating off overnight.
the roof is insulated above the bedrooms at loft floor level.
the bathroom has no window and is vented through a ceiling fan. this itself has been dripping back into the bathroom as the warm air condenses in the loft space. this fan vent goes into the loft and is vented through a vent in the roof.
the tumble drier condenses into the drain. and we dont have washing drying over radiators.
i dont think......i have an expansion tank. we have a combi boiler and no water tank in the roof.
water is direct from the mains.
i think the damp was due to coldness weather outside and the warm inside.
when i opened the windows this morning and put some heating on the patches dried almost immediately.

you may have misunderstood. the vent goes from the ceiling into the loft and the pipe goes outside. the water in the pipe condenses within the pipe due to the coldness of the loft and drips back through the fan into the bathroom.
none of the venting is actually into the loft- though i do think insulating this pipe might solve the condensing back into the bathroom.
thank you for this help.
if you have any advice it is very well appreciated.

Sponsored Links
dodo2761 said:
if you have any advice it is very well appreciated.
Well, there is another way, it's called Drimaster

theHouse.jpg

Up to the point it does but produce more warm air moisture back into the room!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back