Damp patches on the ceiling!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a damp patch on the ceiling!

I investigated the loft space and can see above the header tank in the pitch that water was gathering and dripping onto the floor and coming through to the ceiling of the bedroom.

I think it is because of the condensation build up but can't be sure?

The tank has a cover so the question! how do I ventilate the loft to stop this heppening?

Cheers,

Dan

Sponsored Links
The tank and associated pipework should be lagged to prevent condensation forming on it.

You don't say what the header tank is for. If the tank is for the central heating, you may have a problem with your heating system. Normally the water in the header tank should be cold or only slightly warm. If it is getting warm enough to the point of producing steam that's condensing it could be that your system is 'pumping over' there's an FAQ on that. Click here and scroll down a bit.

If the tank is the header for the hot water cylinder, if the temperature of the water in the cylinder gets too high hot water can be expelled via the vent pipe back into the header tank.

Of course it could just be a leak from somewhere.

Is there any insulation in the loft i.e. insulating the ceiling below ? If yes, how much ?

WWent in the loft at lunchtime and saw that the small header tank didn't have a lid! I have a bit of plywood which I can cut and wrap in insulation and then a black bin liner. Am I right in thinking this would suffice for a lid?

I think the small header tank is to do with the electric shower. The main tank is situated next the the small tank and is insulated with a lid so I am guessing the problem is with the small header tank.

I have had the water pump turned up and the heating on high so could this be the problem? will turn the pump down.

I have also has cavity wall insulation installed in the house, once again, problem?

Only moved in 3 months ago and have had nothing but problems!

Sponsored Links
The small tank is most likely the feed for your central heating & boiler.
Instantaneous electric showers are usually connected to the cold main supply (it could be connected to the same cold water pipe that supplies the small tank) and if you have a pumped (power)shower that will be fed from the bigger tank.

If you haven't got a lid that is probably the problem and I wouldn't have referred to 'pump over' in my reply. Thanks for the duff info in your first post ;)

Because you said that it did have a lid, I mentioned the possibility of 'pump over' causing the water to get hot and cause the condensation. If the system is pumping over slowing the pump might reduce it, but it depends how bad the problem is really.

If you are having lots of problems with your property, make a claim against your surveyor for having them rectified, I did when problems had been missed in the survey.

The building survey was only a basic survey so do you think I can take some legal action?

Because my surveyor failed to spot that the garage roof was leaking, I managed to get something from them towards it. It was 12 years ago though. Whether they had to do so legally, or just as a good will gesture I don't know, but I imagine it would have to be a significant fault that they ought to have have spotted. I don't think a missing tank lid would count, after all, you didn't spot it straight away and it's fairly cheap to rectify, although you did mention that there are other problems.

My survey was only a basic survey, not a full structural survey, carried out by 'General Accident' and they were also used by my building society, so perhaps they didn't want any issues raising with them.

No harm in writing, express your dissatisfaction and include some photographs.

No sorry I only meant if there was a roof leak when taking legal action.

Fron the diagram it would appear that there are meant to be roof vents above the water tanks, which there isn't on my house. Do I need to get these installed?

The vent refers to the open ended pipe that is bent over the top of the tanks. They allow for expansion of water in the system as it heats up and also the escape of air.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back