Damp patches on extension ceiling. Condensation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, last year I reinsulated and boarded/plastered my lean to extension ceiling. Im getting staining/damp patches in a couple of places. Having read a bit on here im pretty sure its condensation due to insufficient or gappy insulation. Anything i can do other than pull it all down and start again??
Help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi Ken, can I messenger you them mate I cant figure out how to post images on here,
Cheers, Karl

20191215_163331.jpg
20191215_163337.jpg
20191215_163346.jpg
20191215_163351.jpg
20191215_163357.jpg
20191215_163419.jpg
20191215_163331.jpg
20191215_163441.jpg

Attachments

• 20191215_163431.jpg
    20191215_163431.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 283
Sponsored Links
Karl Price. hi again.

The concentration of the damp mark / stain would "tend" to indicate a leak in the roof?

Suggest you [in day light] have a good look at the roof tiles and the flashing between the tiles and the main house wall?

In your posted image 7 am I correct in assuming that that is an image of the ventilation at eaves level??

Are there air bricks on both gables?

The image posted of the ceiling does not appear to be "condensation" occurring within the room, but that is not to say that "Condensation" is not occurring within the roof void??

Sorry no magic bullet fix, just more questions.

Ken

Hi pal, there's only an air brick on one side. When we moved in there was a false horizontal ceiling in the space, i pulled that down to create the illusion of more space, insulated with 100 or 120mm rockwool cant remember, between the joists, then boarded with 12mm plasterboards. I know there were a couple of gaps in the insulation which makes me lean towards condensation. Foolish mistake leaving the insulation shy. I will inspect the tiles and flashing, hope its that to be honest, be an easier repair.
If it is condensation in the voids i left in the cavity, how can i proceed without butchering my entire ceiling?
And yes, the image you speak of is at the bottom of the slope underneath the fascia, i assume it is for ventilation. Appreciate your time mate (y)

The leanto roof hasnt been constructed vert well -its good practice to make the roof overhang so there is a decent soffit.

the leaks appear to be coming through the plasterboard joints -so water is working its way down to the back of the plasterboard and running across the board until it gets through a joint.

it sounds from your description of the construction that you changed a flat ceiling to a vaulted ceiling -did you leave an air gap above the insulation or was it mostly filled in but not tightly? -if thats the case it rather sound like you are seeing the result of interstitial condensation -unfortunately hard to know without a bit of investigation.

Could it be those gaps in the edge of the stuff below the tiles? I can see the membrane below the tiles, and a bit of a gap.

there are gaps in the verge pointing and a break(s?) in the undercloak but the most likely place for leaking is, as above, the flashing at the house abutment - take pics out of the handy window or get up on the roof and examine the flashings and tiles.
lift cover flashings to see below and behind them.

the fascia and barge board ends are rotting.
the barge board has a long split running up it.
the timber lintel over the extension window shows signs of water staining.
whats the metal thing above the timber lintel?

Karl Price,
you mention in your first post that "help would be much appreciated".
not disappearing from your own thread, and even saying thank you would also be appreciated by those that have helped you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back