Damp patches on kitchen concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have damp patches in the concrete floor of the kitchen in 1930s house. There is no damp proof membrane installed.

The damp patches are visible under the vinyl. There is one around the door and another in the middle of the floor. If I lift up the vinyl, the damp dries fairly quickly, and is more or less dry after a few hours. This suggests (I hope) the problem is not too serious.

There is a DPC installed but there is only one row of bricks between ground level and the DPC. Directly outside there is a concrete path where water tends to gather against the house.

What is the best way to deal with this? I have had different advice.

- Use an epoxy paint on floor (but could this drive moisture up the walls instead?)

- Dig up the entire floor and relay with a DPM (hugely disruptive and expensive)

- Regrade concrete path outside so water does not lie against house (makes sense to do this in any case, but don't know how much it will help)
- Dig up concrete path outside house to lower ground level, install drainage channel (is digging up concrete path dangerous as it is so close to the house and foundations?)

- Find a breathable floor covering for the concrete floor inside (is there such a thing?)

- Just live with it

Sponsored Links
Just live with it. My house is 1820s and I too had damp patches when I took up the quarry tiles which dried out very quickly. I simply put a cheap vapour barrier down before the laminate. 2 years on and no issues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back