Kitchen concrete floor and walls damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Another problem on this 1937 ex council house
As I have mentioned before it was half renovated in 1976 and as well as a bathroom ext downstairs they have concreted the back kitchen floor to the same height as the living room floor which is wood suspended.
The damp course is 2 bricks below the wooden floor and also below the concrete . This also goes for the outside wall where there is air bricks which are below the concrete doing nothing. The concrete goes from wall to wall, no gaps no water proof membrane and the damp goes up the wall 3 feet. Do you think the damp is a result of the concrete floor?
If I have to take it up and dig deeper then hardcore, sand, waterproof membrane 100mm polystrene then concrete to match living room floor . How do I get over low dpc ??
I really need to maintain this floor level
Please HELP

Sponsored Links
Assuming this is the internal wall that is getting damp, could you clarify the following.

How many walls affected
Cavity or solid wall
( Unlikely but worth asking ) if cavity wall, have you taken out a brick to see inside - muck bridging above existing dpc etc.
How high above the concrete floor is the wall plaster
What condition is the outside wall - pointing, cracks etc.
Recent or longstanding problem
Getting worse or stable
Is the concrete floor damp also

HRH

Hi HRH
the concrete floor is damp
3 walls affected 1 single brick inner wall
1 outside wall double brick with possible cavity
1 wall between us and next door and they have damp also same problem old renovation done by same builders in 1976
the plaster went straight to the floor I have removed this and the wall behind is damp for about 2 foot
cheers

Sponsored Links
took these pictures showing the concrete floor in back kitchen and wooden floor in living room also shows the height of damp just below where I have removed plaster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back