Concrete floor thickness.

she did not want to go to trading standards and say "my mate who once did some DIY and some random people I don't know on the Internet say it's no good"

then why bother asking here in the first place?
Its not meant to be offensive or get your back up but in the real world our opinions count for nothing tony.

Sponsored Links
she did not want to go to trading standards and say "my mate who once did some DIY and some random people I don't know on the Internet say it's no good"

then why bother asking here in the first place?

Because, as I have stated, I am not an expert in such matters, I have done some DIY, but with a lot of advice along the way. I know nothing about structural engineering. I can tell you how a processor works and I can design an electronic circuit to do whatever you want, but as for building a garage, I wouldn't know where to start. She knows about as much as I do.

Now for all I knew, the answer to my original post may well have been "that's fine, it will be plenty strong enough" In which case, nothing to be done. But the answers got from here told her that it is not right and something should be done. So in that sense your opinion does count, but for trading standards, I'm sure they would want more than that. so an expert opinion was found based on the advice given by you guys on here.

Sponsored Links
Update....

Well, she waited to confront builder A with the information that builder B had given her when he came back this morning, but apparently, he turned up, looked at the holes builder B had dug, got in has van and went. She has not heard anything all day. No word back from trading standards as of yet.

My gues is he realised someone was checking up on him and either knows he is trying to pull a fast one, or he knows he don't know what he is doing. Luckily she has not paid any money yet, but unfortunately builder B will obviously want paying to take down what is there to build it properly, I guess she has little chance if recouping that extra cost.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back