Concrete garage base thickness.

The roof to wall detailing is novel, it has a certain post-apocolypse shack aesthetic.
Yeh i can see that that's why I asked him to use facia boards all around and over front door.

Sponsored Links
They had delivered thin ones and he said he reordered larger size.
What min size needed?
Get snow very rarely but he was walking freely on it no flex.
Timbers have been secured down.
Assuming it's over 2.5m wide I'd say you need at least 100x50 for that span.

It's surely not 7m, timber wouldn't even be rated to support it's own self weight at that length! I mean the shortest direction.

Sponsored Links
Its all the little cut corners that ruin basic builds like this.

Why dig 900mm when 500 might do...

Why put in 10mm of k rend when 5mm might do.

Why use 6x2s for roof joists when 3x2s might do.

I'm all for doing things economically but you need to have basic standards and the relentless pinching to the lesser material/thickness may well ruin what could have been a very basic but decent building.

It's like grand designs, even a monkey could build a show home with an endless pot of money. Being efficient and using materials well in an economical manner is a real skill to be applauded but you have to know where you can scrimp and where you should not.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back