Concrete garage base thickness.

It really is a crap job, by a complete chancer. But the thread is entertaining.

I like the non standard (ie non level) heads of the door and window.

Sponsored Links
It really is a crap job, by a complete chancer. But the thread is entertaining.

I like the non standard (ie non level) heads of the door and window.
Wait till it's finished mate. works in progress.
Had a few builders around and they don't see your viewpoint. Anyone can have a view what's crap or not or maybe you can't come to terms with the price and think it's an inevitable fail.

Wait till it's finished mate. works in progress.
Had a few builders around and they don't see your viewpoint. Anyone can have a view what's crap or not or maybe you can't come to terms with the price and think it's an inevitable fail.

Its crap now and that wont change no matter how it is disguised.

It's been built by chancers, and I can't see how any decent builder could possibly say otherwise.

If you, your builder or the other posse from the Oregon Trail can tell be any standard that it conforms to or recognised practice that it has been built to, I'll come down and cover it in gold leaf.

You need to seek advice like I did and confront problems before they happen.
Like the fact the whole thing is built off crap foundation soil?

You would say that as you think it's a mission impossible.
And I was proved correct. The price has already increased and is still increasing.
And you are still in for more costs. And I did say a quality job.
This is me just messing about I don't think he is going to make £160 for 2 weeks.
Is it going to be less?

Sponsored Links
Like the fact the whole thing is built off crap foundation soil?

And I was proved correct. The price has already increased and is still increasing.
And you are still in for more costs. And I did say a quality job.

Is it going to be less?
Foundation was 0.5m and for a 2.5m garage that's more than enough. We don't see artic temperatures in UK so soil heave isn't a big problem. I was more concerned if it would be subject to subsidence.
As I've explained it's not now built off crap foundation soil. That is now in the garden with more top soil from floor base.
The costs don't keep increasing as I've told you a number of times it's now at just over £2600.

He will make more than enough on it so don't worry about him unless your thinking of taking him in your homeless shelter.

Last edited:
Its crap now and that wont change no matter how it is disguised.

It's been built by chancers, and I can't see how any decent builder could possibly say otherwise.

If you, your builder or the other posse from the Oregon Trail can tell be any standard that it conforms to or recognised practice that it has been built to, I'll come down and cover it in gold leaf.
What's crap about it you seem to make an opinion i without stating what's the issue.
Don't go on about foundations again I've heard enough. The floor is now as standard practice ( hardcore , dpm and concrete to 100-150mm. We have dug up the crap and more top soil before hardcore. So I'd like to know why it's crap?
The level your talking about is due to roof line to slope towards rear a deliberate action to keep within 2.5m height and for drainage towards rear.

What's cost of tin vs felt as I have a choice?
Tin, off ebay, seems available for around 8 quid a metre. No idea on felt but just price a roll and divide by the metreage of the roll for a rough idea. Felt roof will be quieter, tin roof more enduring

The trolling accusations may be the wrong way round; try not feeding them, and see if they go away

Last edited:
The trolling accusations may be the wrong way round; try not feeding them, and see if they go away
Count the block courses where that placcy door is supposed to fit and tell me we are being trolls. Would you be happy with it? 6' tall (at the low end), zero pointing, foundations on soil, sloping heads on openings, door unlikely to fit. I could go on.

Tin, off ebay, seems available for around 8 quid a metre. No idea on felt but just price a roll and divide by the metreage of the roll for a rough idea. Felt roof will be quieter, tin roof more enduring

Done as advised. Not been feeding them for a while.
Anyway render on and window and door in place. Door did fit eventually with a step on built inside garage. However opens outwards which isn't an issue.
Gutters and garage door left.
3weeks done maybe a week left.
Cost still £2650.

Attachments

• IMG_1392.JPG
    IMG_1392.JPG
    212 KB · Views: 316
Pics of that door which wasn't supposed to fit and window.

Attachments

• IMG_1394.JPG
    IMG_1394.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_1397.JPG
    IMG_1397.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_1395.JPG
    IMG_1395.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_1396.JPG
    IMG_1396.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_1402.JPG
    IMG_1402.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1400.JPG
    IMG_1400.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 306
Looks neat, make sure the roof timbers are strapped down to the walls properly, also they look a little on the thin side, do you live somewhere with snow fall?

Looks neat, make sure the roof timbers are strapped down to the walls properly, also they look a little on the thin side, do you live somewhere with snow fall?
They had delivered thin ones and he said he reordered larger size.
What min size needed?
Get snow very rarely but he was walking freely on it no flex.
Timbers have been secured down.

Well there you go, proved us all wrong.
If you are happy with that I do know of some excellent tarmacers if you want their number.

But seriously there is quite a bit wrong with it and you should not let him get away with it.

There are beads showing through the render for example

Last edited:
Well there you go, proved us all wrong.
If you are happy with that I do know of some excellent tarmacers if you want their number.

But seriously there is quite a bit wrong with it and you should not let him get away with it.

There are beads showing through the render for example
Yeh noticed beads today myself seems like he put on thin render and scratched it off to plain it. Some grey blocks also showing. Will speak to him.
Tarmacers are a waste of time. Had drive done a few years ago and it wears off.
Gonna render inside as well as he has repointed it but looks cleaner with render .
I think for the price of a sectional garage it's bigger( internal size is 10ft 3 by 18 3) and having the choice I would still build it. A few more touches to it and it should be ready for storage.

The roof to wall detailing is novel, it has a certain post-apocolypse shack aesthetic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back