Concrete garage base thickness.

Sponsored Links
It's a garage, not the Taj Mahal. Let the guy crack on with it free of the burden of a thousand disinterested internet ******s with nothing better to do than sit and pick fault with work you couldn't lever their fat arses out of their armchairs to do even if their labourer was a naked Angelina Jolie. Piers are unnecessary in a small building in all but the most desolate, windswept parts; the corners and roof provide adequate buttressing

It's a garage, not the Taj Mahal. Let the guy crack on with it free of the burden of a thousand disinterested internet ******s with nothing better to do than sit and pick fault with work you couldn't lever their fat arses out of their armchairs to do even if their labourer was a naked Angelina Jolie. Piers are unnecessary in a small building in all but the most desolate, windswept parts; the corners and roof provide adequate buttressing
See your point but these guys speak from experience and most have been very helpful. Although I do feel like I'm whinging all the time with him like a woman with PMT.

The upshot is you can actually build a garage for nowt. Sorry for leading people astray when claiming they cost thousands. Next time I am asked I shall just say "well some bloke did it for such and such.." even if in reality the costs kept on climbing.
As long as you are prepared to build a scrounged, cobbled together sh it hole on dodgy ground then crack on with your free buildings.(y)

Sponsored Links
No ones saying that, but Adam's paid his money, taken his choice. Incredulous as we may find the price, and free we are to opine on its validity, it's not us who has a working relationship with this guy, and not us who loses out if the constant "well the man on the internet said" causes the guy to down tools and walk off the job

Adam, I've no idea what you do as a job, but if I hired you to perform it for me, would you be delighted to be up against the bloke from the pub, back seat driving the opposite way to how you do what you do for a living? Just something to bear in mind..

If you think this is bad you should try the plumbing section here!:LOL:I'm finding this thread quite interesting though, I always like a good progress thread even though I'm to lazy/scared to post my own.

If you think this is bad you should try the plumbing section here!:LOL:I'm finding this thread quite interesting though, I always like a good progress thread even though I'm to lazy/scared to post my own.
You know something every time you guys suggest something I ask him and we reach a compromise.
He will now take off the crap soil and then put hardcore down.
I mentioned that he was getting a skip anyway so why not take it off as it should never have been placed there anyway.
So base should be better now.
It's going to be level high at back lower at front since we have a sloping down ground.
Floor is gonna be to dpc level.
The door is 7ft with frame and for this reason he can't get lintel on top as it's going to sit on 1ft above ground. He can't lower it since the floor level inside will then be higher and it won't open in.
He plans on putting wood to secure it to roof.
I not scared putting pics up as what's the worse that can happen.
At best I'll get pointed in right direction.
But on the other hand if I was the builder and someone kept whinging I would have long gone.
In my profession our discretion is final and it comes with years of study.

In my profession our discretion is final and it comes with years of study.
I knew it!
You're one of these \/
vSS5mG1u7EJ6E.gif

Maximum height achieved with walls with roof to go on not exceed 2.5m. Roof to slope downward since rear height is near max with roof it would go over top.
Digging floor to 8 inch deep and then hardcore 4 inch with 4 inch concrete. Roof on order tomorrow.
Problem with door as it's 7ft high with frame. On top of cutout it would hit roof so it will now open outward. Inside Floor level with dpc and higher than outside. Gutter to go on rear and inside wall.
Neighbours complaining about height. Dumb people saying it should be 6ft high ... read your planning guide mate and telling me it needs planning permission.

Attachments

• IMG_1373.JPG
    IMG_1373.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_1372.JPG
    IMG_1372.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 231
To be fair just because you don't need planning permission doesn't mean it won't be annoying to the neighbours! But hopefully they'll be happy enough in the end.(y)

Everything is annoying to some neighbours. Mine is currently building a sizeable shed, making a nice job of the walls but he mentioned that the roof would probably be tin sheets. I offered to go halves if he'd upgrade it to slate, cos I've got to look at it too and tbh cost of slate vs tin, it'd be worth a couple of hundred quid not to hear it rattling in a rainstorm

Everything is annoying to some neighbours. Mine is currently building a sizeable shed, making a nice job of the walls but he mentioned that the roof would probably be tin sheets. I offered to go halves if he'd upgrade it to slate, cos I've got to look at it too and tbh cost of slate vs tin, it'd be worth a couple of hundred quid not to hear it rattling in a rainstorm
What's cost of tin vs felt as I have a choice?

Maximum height achieved with walls with roof to go on not exceed 2.5m. Roof to slope downward since rear height is near max with roof it would go over top.
I suppose this is where you are loosing out with an inexperienced builder. In England the height is 2.5m from the highest point of ground level. So the roof could be 3m tall is you had a .5m drop

I suppose this is where you are loosing out with an inexperienced builder. In England the height is 2.5m from the highest point of ground level. So the roof could be 3m tall is you had a .5m drop
My fault i insisted he bring it down to 2.2m. He said it was ok.
So you measure from the highest point on the ground say front of garden near garage to top of roof at rear of garage .
He kept telling me it was ok but with me doubting his every move I was worried of the 2.5m limit

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back