Concrete garage base thickness.

Why is the slave paying for your hard core?
That was his cost not anymore since he was reluctant to use it I offered to buy the material. I only did this as it's obvious that the cost of his labour would be eaten into and I wanted it doing properly.
We have made many last min changes and added extra work and he never added any cost so it was only fair.
Anyway picked up used Upvc door with frame and glass with key for £25. That will fit nicely on side. Just need window now for it.

Sponsored Links
This £2'500 garage of yours seems to be running over budget and gaining by the day.

Skip
Hard core MOT
Window
Door
Garage door

Someone said on here that it was impossible to build a garage of even standard quality for £2500. I think he was right.(y)
There is a thread on here where a chap built a single garage himself for 2500-3000 quid . Do a search. But he built it himself. He bought windows doors himself from eBay.
For a garage it's pointless buying a 200/300 quid new door which will only be kicked about by kids playing footy in yard.
A sectional type does not include access door or a pvc window.

The walls are 80% up. I'll post a pic if you guys don't laugh. Don't know what to make of it? It's not bad but it's more like a shed than a garage.

Sponsored Links
Hardcore is coming Thursday. They've been walking on soil and they took out bricks it's pretty hard. Do they now pour 4 tons hardcore and compact done with machine and then pour concrete over after putting down sheet.
Luckily I picked up a door from another builder yesterday who delivered it for me. He says you need to put hardcore in and then sheet followed by concrete. He didn't laugh at it said it was Ok.
Oh we have a scaffolding in place ...it called a grand coffee table.

Last edited:
Anyways here goes. Take a deep breath and release. Viewers discretion advised please don't exert yourself after this since your pulse will be racing anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_1363.JPG
    IMG_1363.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 195
Looks right enough to me. I don't think you need piers in the corners but they will make it all stronger.

Yeah the pier should be on the wall between the door and window as that's a weak spot. Consult your designer/SE to confirm what you have is adequate.

Yeah the pier should be on the wall between the door and window as that's a weak spot. Consult your designer/SE to confirm what you have is adequate.
Thanks for telling me that. The builder said opposite. I asked him why he hasn't put pillar there and he said due to window and door being there.WTF. I'll a bit annoyed with him now.
I have an urge to kick it to see if it's strong as being so thin it makes me feel as it's built like domino's.

Total cost so far
£2500 build
Door £25
Mot type 1- £115 4 Ton
Window still to get or settle for wood as I need 3ftx3ft to fit block size. He has already made hole.
Garage door (can pick one up for £20-30 on eBay but will use my own from conversion.
So far £2640.

The general rule with groundwork on a former lawn is to always remove the turf and at least a few inches of the soft fertile stuff near the surface so perhaps dig off 6'' or so. One of the fundamentals is to always remove dug out soil as it has been loosened and can not be compacted properly again.

In your case seeing as they never bothered to strip off the top 6'' they just threw the loose soil on top so not only is that stuff unsuitable but there is turf buried under a foot of it which isn't suitable either. If it had been done properly the turf and top few inches would have been scraped off and the area filled up to the required level with hardcore.

Simply dumping hardcore on top of the crap thats there defeats the purpose, there is no point having a nice sub base on top of unstable rubbish fill

There is a thread on here where a chap built a single garage himself for 2500-3000 quid . Do a search. But he built it himself. He bought windows doors himself from eBay.
For a garage it's pointless buying a 200/300 quid new door which will only be kicked about by kids playing footy in yard.
A sectional type does not include access door or a pvc window.

That could have been me here:

I built an 8.5 X 3.5ish garage 3 years ago. Rough prices were:

I dug out the base and got the concrete poured, £800.

Hired a bricky to build it upto wall plate level with main door, side door and window lintels, he used block on 3 sides and brick on the front, £1600.

I did the roof with a mate, £700.

I got the side door and window off e-bay before we built it, £85.

Had a company in to fit a nice 40mm insulated, remote controlled main door £1200.

Then one of those small consumer units, 10mtrs of armoured cable, 4 strip lights and about 5 double sockets, maybe £250.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back