Concrete garage base thickness.

Could your sectional garage installer be wrong and just want to do a quick job?

The weight is not the main factor. The potential for soils to move over the seasons, change bearing capacity relative to ground moisture, and support vegitation is more important.

Top soils should not be built on
They build garages for a living. The told me a base would be concrete sections on top.
They didn't say how deep they will dig but quoted £800 for base only.

Sponsored Links
It is possible to build blockwork off a slab, but most builders won't do it because there is the the chance of cracks developing and foundation problems can be expensive to correct.
With a sectional garage a small amount of movement isn't a problem, whereas cracking in the blockwork normally has the customer back on the phone to the builder.

This is the quote I got from a guy who would build a base for sectional garage . It's same as block build method.

After my site visit I have pleasure in submitting the following quote.

Dig and lay footings to build small retaining wall to three sides of garage base.

Supply materials and build retaining wall in concrete block.

Supply and back fill base to level at 6’’ depth

Supply and lay 2’’ of hardcore to garage base 19’x 10’ and compact down.

Supply and lay 4’’ of concrete to base 19’x 10’.

Total £1200

Can't see why you would biulding retaining wall /footings for a sectional garage?

Sponsored Links
It is possible to build blockwork off a slab, but most builders won't do it because there is the the chance of cracks developing and foundation problems can be expensive to correct.
With a sectional garage a small amount of movement isn't a problem, whereas cracking in the blockwork normally has the customer back on the phone to the builder.
So basically since the sectional pieces are long they won't crack but may lean over time. We have a sectional Compton garage built 30-40 yrs go which is leaning as the base is cracked. We bought the house with it and was thinking of getting rid. Heard Compton garages are good so may repair instead .

He said the base should also stop any movement as I was complaining about the footings.
How will that work? There will be (should be) polythene under and up the sides of the slab. The two are not 'connected' in any particular way and certainly not enough to reduce the influence of foundations on crap ground.

How will that work? There will be (should be) polythene under and up the sides of the slab. The two are not 'connected' in any particular way and certainly not enough to reduce the influence of foundations on crap ground.
Think he was probably just reassuring me by chatting it.
Just spoke to him sheet going under concrete slab. Hardcore will be stones and broken bricks within the soil removed and soil. Compacted down.

Last edited:
The actual end wall to wall measurements on both sides are 330cm. I'm amazed by the accuracy of the builder to within 0.5cm. We managed to get it to 11ft wide. Door is 7ft wide which with side pillars leaves about half a foot for frame.
Concrete Base will start tomorrow hopefully.

Attachments

• IMG_1358.JPG
    IMG_1358.JPG
    381.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1360.JPG
    IMG_1360.JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 188
This is the quote I got from a guy who would build a base for sectional garage . It's same as block build method.

After my site visit I have pleasure in submitting the following quote.

Dig and lay footings to build small retaining wall to three sides of garage base.

Supply materials and build retaining wall in concrete block.

Supply and back fill base to level at 6’’ depth

Supply and lay 2’’ of hardcore to garage base 19’x 10’ and compact down.

Supply and lay 4’’ of concrete to base 19’x 10’.

Total £1200
Seems strange that a guy whose charging half cost of garage is using only 2inch hardcore and 4 inch slab. Hope to go 5-6 inch slab and 6 inch hardcore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back