Concrete garage base thickness.

Seems strange that a guy whose charging half cost of garage is using only 2inch hardcore and 4 inch slab. Hope to go 5-6 inch slab and 6 inch hardcore.
Don't want much for your money do you.:eek:

I'm guessing this thread is just a wind up.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Why on earth did they not scrape off and have a good surface to work from?

Hardcore will be stones and broken bricks within the soil removed and soil. Compacted down.

I assumed this was a typo but after seeing the arse about face way they are doing it I wouldn't be surprised if the 'better soil' was used as hardcore.

The fact he didn't skip the dig out from the footings is a fair indicator of what's going to happen to it. "sods make great sub base if you add broken bricks and really wacker it down"

Why on earth did they not scrape off and have a good surface to work from?

I assumed this was a typo but after seeing the arse about face way they are doing it I wouldn't be surprised if the 'better soil' was used as hardcore.

The fact he didn't skip the dig out from the footings is a fair indicator of what's going to happen to it. "sods make great sub base if you add broken bricks and really wacker it down"
So he should remove footings soil and put down only hardcore gravel ?? he would only need 100mm??

Just had a chat. He was going to just put down soil and bricks and concrete over. I insisted on type 1 mot hardcore. He said he would guarantee nothing would happen to floor. I offered to pay for materials and he agreed. Seems he wants to save on skip and hardcore in one. So now dpc is installed on blocks. 2 piers will go in centre of walls. We also want window and access door on right near side face. it looks like may need 4 tons of hardcore @£130.
Considering I'm getting done at a bargain according to u chaps that the least I can do.

Last edited:
This is the reason why people are so infuriated by this thread, the fact that he was willing to just level that trash out and concrete over it shows how much of a cowboy he is. Its not ok and he knows it so he's trying to pull the wool over your eyes which I the most concerning thing. You have been willing to give him a lot of leeway because its so cheap. I hope you don't regret it.

You seriously think leaving the old turf in under some loose dug out soil and a few bit of bricks is a suitable base for a floor??

He wanted to save on skip and hardcore to make himself more money and save on extra work. It doesn't have any sort of benefit to you, only him and that is where alarm bells ring.

There is no way I would let this guy anywhere near my house.

This is the reason why people are so infuriated by this thread, the fact that he was willing to just level that trash out and concrete over it shows how much of a cowboy he is. Its not ok and he knows it so he's trying to pull the wool over your eyes which I the most concerning thing. You have been willing to give him a lot of leeway because its so cheap. I hope you don't regret it.

You seriously think leaving the old turf in under some loose dug out soil and a few bit of bricks is a suitable base for a floor??

There is no way I would let this guy anywhere near my house.
I think he is relying on me being a novice. It's helpful to have critical comments from you guys. I don't take them personally. If you are taking time to reply it shows you guys want to help.
Anyway I'm going to order 4 ton hardcore. The top soil is coming out although some bricks and rock may remain.
Just need to get a door and window for side. He is planning in a gap for both. Walls are up halfway nearly. Not sure when he is doing floor yet.

This £2'500 garage of yours seems to be running over budget and gaining by the day.

Skip
Hard core MOT
Window
Door
Garage door

Someone said on here that it was impossible to build a garage of even standard quality for £2500. I think he was right.(y)

This £2'500 garage of yours seems to be running over budget and gaining by the day.

Skip
Hard core MOT
Window
Door
Garage door

Someone said on here that it was impossible to build a garage of even standard quality for £2500. I think he was right.(y)
The garage door and window was never included in price. Since we are having garage conversion, that door will be re-used. The quote was for build not window or access door which I need as pvc. He was only putting a wood frame free.
Skip is his hire for both jobs.
Hardcore Mot was his cost and if I insisted he would have to as I haven't paid a lot upfront .

Maybe he could sell the turf he was going to use as hardcore to recoup some of his money...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back