Concrete garage base thickness.

All crap soil is out and hardcore down 3 tons. Another ton on order Monday with compacting down to start. Concrete going down soon after. From pics floor will be to inside dpc level so about 100mm or more concrete required.

Attachments

• IMG_1378.JPG
    IMG_1378.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_1379.JPG
    IMG_1379.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1376.JPG
    IMG_1376.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 327
Sponsored Links
That £2.5k is gonna take a battering. :whistle:
How's that I paid £86 for 3 tons hardcore instead of £115. So my overall cost is 2586 plus £25 door and £30 window. Around £2641 not far from £2500 me thinks
The concrete hasn't be laid yet and is included in price.

How's that I paid £86 for 3 tons hardcore instead of £115. So my overall cost is 2586 plus £25 door and £30 window. Around £2641 not far from £2500 me thinks
Gonna look daft without a roof though.

Are you rendering the inside too? It doesn't seem to be face pointed?

Sponsored Links

Noseall it's not finished yet mate.. not a complete garage. Roof is coming Monday with timber and metal sheets. Render will be outside only.

It will be face pointed once he has completed the job on the outside.
I will get him to smooth out joints and fill up any gaps.

It will be face pointed once he has completed the job on the outside.
I will get him to smooth out joints and fill up any gaps.
Pointing is done at the laying stage. It's easier that way and lasts.

What is this guy doing for wages? By the time he has paid for everything - blocks, skip, sand, cement, ballast, MOT, rendering sand and more cement, stainless steel stop beads and corner beads and admixture, roof timbers, roof covering, guttering, roof trims, fixings, sealant etc.

Is he working for free your slave?

Last edited:
Pointing is done at the laying stage. It's easier that way and lasts.

What is this guy doing for wages? By the time he has paid for everything - blocks, skip, sand, cement, ballast, MOT, rendering sand and more cement, stainless steel stop beads and corner beads and admixture, roof timbers, roof covering, guttering, roof trims, fixings, sealant etc.

Is he working for free your slave?
Well he has one bloke to pay as well. He has saved on one skip for soil so that will go towards his wages (£160 ) not bad. He feeds his family so must be making something out of it... otherwise its an experience for him

Why are you missing the left hand door pier?
Why are you so adamant to defend your builder when you first questioned his methods?
Are you out to prove all builders charge excessive amounts for building work and they should only work for £160 for a couple of weeks work?
I really don't understand all your posts Adam68 what is your hidden agenda??

Why are you so adamant to defend your builder when you first questioned his methods?
Are you out to prove all builders charge excessive amounts for building work and they should only work for £160 for a couple of weeks work?
It's a wind-up post mate. He's just trollin along.

As someone has already posted before piers are not really necessary but do provide strength. There is already a 2 piers on the left so middle is missing. I'm defending my builder since he is really working his arse off and trying to prove himself for little profit. I'm not sure if he actually still believes that concrete on crap soil is ok but he knows I'm not going to park my car on it anytime soon to find out as there is no drive to connect yet.
My hidden agenda is to get a decent garage built for the best price possible for myself. I have had quotes for 28k for an outbuilding and 13k for garage.
For a majority of people this is too expensive and can be done a lot cheaper. I'm not saying that anyone can have a garage built for 2.5K. I just happen to find someone for could do it for that price. I was in 2 minds to go with the build route as I really didn't want to fork out more than 3k. I could pay up to 10-15k but really didnt think it was value for money at that price.
All I can say to anyone wanting to go along the build route is see their work completed and don't always take another persons word that they did a good job for them.
You need to seek advice like I did and confront problems before they happen.

It's a wind-up post mate. He's just trollin along.
You would say that as you think it's a mission impossible.
As for trolling .. what do I get out of it .. I post pics of my personal project for advice.. how would Trollin help me .. in fact you guys would just ignore me and not offer help advice. Who likes to put up personal pics unless they wanted help.

Well he has one bloke to pay as well. He has saved on one skip for soil so that will go towards his wages (£160 ) not bad. He feeds his family so must be making something out of it... otherwise its an experience for him
This is me just messing about I don't think he is going to make £160 for 2 weeks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back