How thick should I pour the garage floor?

I

iDIY

Hi Guys,

This is a bit of a hybrid building so stick with me...

I am building a 2 story building, the ground level is a garage, although it will only ever house a motorcycle due to poor access. The 1st floor is an artist studio (my wife is a hobbyist painter). Because of the 1st floor studio, the foundations fall under BR but the garage dose not.

So foundations are in. 1m deep trench x 600mm wide with 250mm of concrete in the bottom. 3 layers of foundation blocks get me to ground level (ish). All backfilling is done to just below the top of the foundations, so i contacted BCO to clarify if DPM / DPC Inspection is done at hardcore level of garage floor, sand layer of garage floor or once DPM is laying on the sand layer. He said as its a garage floor that part of the build doesn't fall und BR so no inspection required. in fact the next inspection will be pre plaster.

I still plan to put the sand layer in and cover it with a DPM to keep the garage floor relatively damp free. My question is, how thick would you pour the concrete slab and would you use reinforcing mesh?

Sponsored Links
I only use my garage for motorbikes and work a lot in there. (it's attached)
my house boiler is in the garage so generates a bit of warmth.

Don't know if you do a lot of garage work but I'd consider insulation if you can.
Plus paint it white, and loads of light

100mm is usual deal for a garage floor, no need for mesh at those dimensions. Not sure what would happen if you put celotex under the slab (should make the place warmer, might reduce max point load. Check a suppliers website

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back