Damp patches on roughcasting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the roughcasting on a house I am interested in buying has large damp patches on it - But none on the neighbours? Seller is stating it's because the house has been unoccupied and therefore no heating to dry it off in cold temps? Does this sound feasible? Please help

Attachments

• IMG_9097.PNG
    IMG_9097.PNG
    361.8 KB · Views: 538
Sponsored Links
Hi,

I don't know is the honest answer. It's a house I've just put an offer in on. Could the problem be gutters need cleaned? I did notice moss on the roof tiles? I just thought it was odd that neighbours either side were fine - no damp patches - but he answered this by saying the house has been empty for a couple of weeks with no heating/lots of rain? Am I worrying over nothing do you think? Home report showed no issues but that's based on visual inspection only. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Carol

Sponsored Links
So saying Steve was bang on - a guttering issue then? Not a problem with the roughcasting itself? It was re roughcasted just over a year ago. Thanks.

From what we see Carol, the rough cast is well drenched from the outside.....I'd be pleased to see the place during a rain storm!
Any sign of weeds growing in the gutter? It would be my guess that the gutters are full of silt and the rain overflows down the back of the gutter, onto the facia and then down onto the wall.
Are there any cracks on the rough cast that you can see? It looks like a good job from here.
John :)

Hiya,
Thanks for answering.
No signs of cracks anywhere from what I can see. If my bid for the house is successful (find out this afternoon) it's something I will need to look at more seriously - and with a bit of luck it's just a guttering issue, which a couple of people here and others I've spoken with reckon it might be?
Fingers crossed
Thanks guys

As long as there are no damp problems on the inside wall where it shows outside you should be fine. But do check inside and have a look in that area...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back