repairing rough cast wall, advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

we had some issues with penetrating damp which has been traced to some cracked render (roughcast or pebbledash - from the 1930s, with semi-smooth stones I think, painted over) on the rear wall of the house and the chimney stack. We are in the process of getting quotes to have this repaired.

Both quotes so far have suggested removing and repairing broken sections, using a base coat, a mesh, then the top coat. One said he would use krend, the other didn't specify (I've asked for more information).

One has suggested just patching, the other patching, plus going over all the roughcast on that one wall. So the broken stuff is removed, then the whole wall is gone over for a complete new coat of rough cast.

This would all need to be painted, since the whole house is already painted.

Anything I should be aware of, or look out for when getting these quotes? I've already asked them for a more detailed breakdown of materials and processes, so I can post that back here.

I have read conflicting things online about putting roughcast over roughcast - some suggest it's fine, others that it's not.

I am also unsure of whether the original roughcast was cement or lime based. Is there an easy way to tell, and will this affect what can be put on top?

Thanks for any information,

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/g...roughcast-advice-please.424590/#ixzz3PaoMoSIg

Sponsored Links
First of all you need to check out the work of people who have quoted and if possible talk to their clients.

You are righ tot get detailed quotes but try and get like for like

You can go over anything that is sound- but be aware of the effect extra thickness may have on areas like reveals.
'Just' patching will always look patched.

If you can scrape off the original it doesnt matter if it is lime or cement based, it's got to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back