Country
United Kingdom
8FEA235A-6F3D-49AA-953F-93C39DB75EC2.jpeg
41E4CA10-FD0C-4280-9CC3-7D60229FDD67.jpeg
7DB0FB67-80BD-4C36-8A7E-36EFDDA20716.jpeg
125FFEDB-EFBD-4172-8CC8-F613DE39464C.jpeg
09F387EE-5ED5-4A48-81AF-CE89B26BFBD7.jpeg
D3B84B80-227C-48CB-89D5-737D6B3AEE45.jpeg
Hi everyone I had a leaking flat roof which is fixed but left damage and damp patches on the hallway walls and ceiling what is the best way to restore this and paint it, the hallway wall has lining paper and the ceiling is just plaster, I was thinking to sand down areas then any deeper holes place polyfilla then BIN zeissner primer then paint 2 coats of each colour? And help advice would be great thank you

Sponsored Links
Mojo12345, good evening.

Can i suggest that you consider using some Cillit Bang, black mould and mildew remover before you over paint?

Cheap spray to get, suggest you try it on a small area in an unobtrusive area first, if it works, and it should, try on other areas, allow to dry then go for your painting option.

I suggest the use of spray first because that stuff has worked for me on water staining, makes the paints life easier with better results??

Ken.

Hi ken thanks for the advice I shall give it a try cheers

Sorry KenGmac, but using bleach based products is unlikely to block water stains. Shallac or oil based paints will normally suffice. Shellac based paints will be over printable after 30 minutes, oil based, you have to wait until the next day.

Sponsored Links
Have faced this problem several times myself. Just painted over the stains well overlapping at the edges with oil based undercoat. This can then be over painted with emulsion when dry. You could use other oil based paint rather than undercoat, but avoid gloss since the emulsion may not stick to it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back