damp pathches on doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,

Moved in to 1910 property with original doors which have been stripped down.

Strange dark damp patches are emerging on different parts of the internal doors on the downstairs and upstairs (bedroom/dining/living rooms - which do come and go to some extent - all the doors stay open so are not in contact with anything apart from the hinges (around the hinges there is NO sign of damp).

Speaking to a tradesman he was convinced it wasn't to do with the house itself being DAMP?? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
well the moistures comming from somwhere :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

is it in any specific part off the doors as in top middle and bottom!!!!

could the dampness be comming from contact with frame or floor

have you got a pet that likes marking his or her territory ;)

Hello boustred

It could well be damp/condensation , are the patches a dirty black wet colour ? if yes its condensation/damp
a dehumidifer (sp?) will help an you will be surprised at the amount of moisteur it collects ! :)
hope this helps

Thanks for the comments.

Different doors have different locations of wet patches.

None of the doors are in contact with the floor or the frames. The patches are damp to touch and are obviously darker than the rest of the door (all of which have been stripped and un treated.

The tradesman i had in was an experienced damp proofer/wood treatment and he stated that the damp patches were not a result of "damp" in the house...?

any further comments would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
i am afraid you will have to turn detective

if the damp hasnt got an obvious path through the surrounding surfaces

and if theres no way the damp could fall onto it from above it must be some one or something touching the doors why i suggested a pet

are all the damp patches at simmilar hights

have you ruled out pets children wet from outside or from a bath with a wet towel on

a person with wet clothes ect ect

no pets

no kids

damp in various locations on different doors and generally comes and goes.

bathroom door - dry as a bone

???????????

still think its somthing like wet clothing
do you live in the house!!!!!!
who else has used the house on a regular basis whilst this "problem" has been ocurring :rolleyes:

boustred

are you a troll or spammer here ???,

further down you need to replace your airbricks as they are blocked this explains the damp on doors ,

on other board sections here you are asking similar questions ,an new ones here on same topics , hmmmm :(

Moz said:
boustred

are you a troll or spammer here ???,

further down you need to replace your airbricks as they are blocked this explains the damp on doors ,

on other board sections here you are asking similar questions ,an new ones here on same topics , hmmmm :(

my thoughs moz :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :LOL:
this is as close to the x files as you get on the internet
or this loverly person is a great jester testing our logic ;)

I was thinking about this, and it strikes me it is like the damp patches you get in humid conditions on walls that have hydroscopic salts in them.

If the doors were stripped with caustic soda or similar, when it dries out it could leave crystals in the wood which would tend to migrate towards the surface.

If this is the case...

Not sure how you would detect it (you might see crystals visible on the surface) best not to lick the wood as I think caustic soda would burn your tongue.

I suppose the doors would have to be taken off and rinsed thoroughly in clean water.

You could try experimentally washing one down with a wet sponge but it would be important to sponge up the water, not let it soak into the wood where it would carry the chemical back inside.

"are you a troll or spammer here ??" Not sure what this means!?

Anyways i am still investigating things... john D thanks for your comments... interesting theory.

I have hired a de humidifier and have been giving each room a 4 hr stint. Dowstairs i have been extracting about 1 litre in 4 hours for the dining and sitting room. Upstairs about 600mls.

I am assuming there should be some moisture in the air in any perfectly "dry" house, but what would you expect from a damp house?

BTW - This had no effect on the patches on the doors...

"are you a troll or spammer here ??" Not sure what this means!?

in this instance taking the micky or spoof post

going along with johnd theory ;)

dehumidification isnt the answer

its stopping the door absorbing extra moisture in some areas

you need to remove any contamination
try good old fashoined hot soapy water over all the door

or experiment !!!!

thoroughly wash one half of a patch and leave the other half to see what happens :D

no micky taking i assure you!

ok will try that

with regards to de humidifiers - is there any standard extraction rate?
litre m3/hr???

would like to know if the amount of water thats being extracted is alot indicating a damp house or is just standard for any normal house.

or do i keep going until there is no more water left to extract..?

for a standard dining room i had 1 litre in 4hrs..?

boustred, apologies for digging up an old thread but we have this exact same problem with damp patches on doors in the house we have just bought.

2 stripped back, internal, upstairs doors, kept open all the time, damp is on the open side between the door knob and top of door its bizarre. Did you have any luck with dehumidifier or washing down doors?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back