damp plaster smell?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently been having problems with damp coming into my attic bedroom due to roof problems.

I've now had a new roof and have been using a dehumidifier to draw the damp out before attempting to re decorate. I have been told by a plasterer that the old plaster should be ok and not need replacing.

However, I now have a musty smell in the room. The room did smell a little damp before (understandably) but now it smells stale and its quite strong.

Could this be a result of the plaster drying out or something more sinister?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Are the ceilings/walls construced from plasterboard? This can smell very bad if it has been exposed to damp/moisture.

Hi, as far as I know there's no plaster board in the room. Its an old house and has been skimmed over but I believe its all original plaster under there somewhere. Am I right in thinking that plasterboard wasn't used way back when.... (please excuse my ignorance)

I do know when I had the re wiring done the electrician could not put a ceiling fixture up without the risk of bringing the entire ceiling down (I opted out of that) because he said it wasn't plasterboard.

Does that rule that out :cry: My lodger is due back later this week and I don't think she will be too impressed with the smell! ;)

If it's an old house, then probably you wont have plasterboard if everything is original. It could be the smell from the gypsum plaster when you had the re-skim done, plus the smell in the air from the original damp. I'd keep the de-humidifier on to dry the room out, and ventilate the room when possible (windows open etc), and just hope it helps to get rid of the smell.
I'd get another opinion regarding the state of the plasterwork itself, after the comments made to you by your electrician. Get another plaster in to look at it, it wont/shouldn't cost you anything for his opinion.

Sponsored Links
Thanks roughcaster,

I'll keep at it and see what happens, I opened the skylight vent earlier tonight (daren't open the window too much in case it rains).

I've also left the door open at the bottom of the attic stairs so more air should be circulating up there, I'm guessing that will help.

Will have to wait and see :)

Thanks roughcaster,

I'll keep at it and see what happens, I opened the skylight vent earlier tonight (daren't open the window too much in case it rains).

I've also left the door open at the bottom of the attic stairs so more air should be circulating up there, I'm guessing that will help.

Will have to wait and see :)

That's about all you can do for now,,,,, good luck to you anyway, and i hope it clears up. You can also get one of those electric perfumed air re-cyclers in the room, that'll help too. Come back on here again and let us know how it's going. ;)

Hi All,

Just to let you know, I've kept up with the dehumidifier with the window open very slightly and a plug in air freshener!

Plus I scrapped as much of the damp paint of as possible and much to my delight.... The smell is no more!

Don't you just love a happy ending! :mrgreen:

Thanks for your help roughcaster

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back