Damp problem...whats the solution?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The house is an old victorian mate and it already has plenty of ventilation. Anymore ventilation will make it really cold during winter. Any other suggestions?

Maybe put a hit/miss vent on the lower part of the wall so that area will be ventilated

In some cavity walls it's well known for mortar dropping bridging the dpc, this will be when it's raining mostly

Any photo's of the outside?

A hit miss vent already exists, so putting a second vent beats the point as it would make the room extremely cold.

As for mortar dropping - yes it's a possiblity, but as you can see from the photo, the plaster is bone dry after scraping/clean the top layer, which means to me that the dpc has not been affected...or am i wrong?

I'll try to get some photos for the outside, but in the meantime, are there anymore suggestions? What about using a anti-condensation paint?

Sorry mate, but i don't understand the reason for your question.

FYI, I still have the mouldy wall - condensation/damp issue and thats why i took off the wallpaper and scraped off the top layer of the plaster.

This was to see if there is penetrating damp or if the problem was just on the surface of the plaster.

After taking off 1mm of the top layer of the plaster, i found dry plaster underneath...surely this means no damp????

If that is the case, then it's only condensation that can cause this, in which case i need the solution to solving this problem.

After taking off 1mm of the top layer of the plaster, i found dry plaster underneath...surely this means no damp????

If that is the case, then it's only condensation that can cause this, in which case i need the solution to solving this problem.
You've just answered your own question ;)

Sorry, maybe I'm a bit slow, but I don't get you mate. I know or at least I think i know, that there is no damp. But if it's condensation, then what is the solution?

More ventilation!

If the moisture cannot get out then condensation problem, might be just the location of the ventilation, that's why I said put a small vent maybe in the wall just on top of the skirting board because that's where the condensation is ending up or just wait and see.

A dehumidifier will control it but can produce warm moisture back into the room!

But mate I already have an outside vent on that wall. Any more ventilation and the room would be absolutely freezing cold.

Is there no other option?

Someone on here said you can put tin foil on the wall to establish weather its condensation or not, that aside you need to find out and eliminate were the moisture is coming from in the first place.

thanks catlad. Our house is an old victorian terrace, made in 1900. We do have a kitchen extension...similar to the image below, but without any french doors:-

257_sl4.jpg

This kitchen extension internally leads to the room where the damp/condensation is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back