Damp problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am not sure whether I have a damp problem or the remains of a former damp problem.
There are mottled patches under the paint on a couple of walls. When I scrape the paint/plaster from these spots there is a dark patch on the wall. These appear behind the door, on another internal wall and in two patches by the French windows, where the curtains would be.
The places don't appear damp, but I have no damp meter. On the wall behind the door there is a horizontal line above which are these marks and below is clean bright paint suggesting new plaster (perhaps after damp proofing).
Do I have a damp problem or the aftermath of a previous damp problem?
What is the solution, replaster or seal the wall?
Best regards,
Dave

Sponsored Links
As with most questions like this it's hard to say without seeing, but if you can upload 2 or 3 pics on here, it would be helpful.

As roughcaster says, it's very difficult to help without seeing the problem.

It could just be the remnants of a damp problem which has been sorted, dried out and left some damage caused by salts or just some plain and simple staining. If either of these is the case, and the plaster is sound, then an alkali resistant primer may help cover the patches before re-painting with your emulsion. All loose paint will need to be removed and the area dry before using it.

If you can post some pictures and it turns out to be more significant than that, you will be in good hands with the advice the spreads will give.

Hi All,

Posted this message a while ago but didn't get round to any pictures. I have added some pictures into my album which shows the overall view and a close up of what may be the soruce, but from what I have seen, it appears to be due to something painted on the wall perhaps due to damp from before.
Please take a look and let me know what you think
Regards,
Dave

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

Posted this message a while ago but didn't get round to any pictures. I have added some pictures into my album which shows the overall view and a close up of what may be the soruce, but from what I have seen, it appears to be due to something painted on the wall perhaps due to damp from before.
Please take a look and let me know what you think
Regards,
Dave
the photos are not that good, but i would say the black stuff is bitumin paint also known as blackjack or aquaseal and it looks like someone may have painted it on to try and cure a damp problem, not sure about the other pic being damp or not

Just added another picture, but it looks like it has been painted on the wall, unless the whole wall was black with damp and they just painted over it.
Cheers

usually black patches indicate condensation. are there are bricks or trickle vents in the house?

I am pretty sure this is not damp, but rather a tar bases covering used by a previous owner to stop damp.
I was recommended by a painter and decorator to use undercoat to seal the wall, but this substance is leaching through.
I would welcome suggestions, but I am now leaning to getting a plaster skim coat
Cheers to all for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back