Damp after Damp proofing

16 Jul 2017
Reaction score
United Kingdom

So, this is a common problem right? That damp gets mistreated by damp proofing when damp showed on the walls? It’s happened to us.

After all the snow and rain recently, I’ve just noticed a big patch of moisture up the corner of our living room wall. We had it proofed and plastered about 5 weeks ago. The skirting came away a little from the area that’s now damp, but that can’t have caused it right?

What can I do? Am I looking at a fortune wasted and a fortune remaining to pay? Fortunately we haven’t painted yet. It’s an old Victorian house.

Damp shown below.
Sponsored Links
MuBuPlu, good evening.

Some questions?

1/. What age is the property?
2/. Do you know what the external wall is made of? cavity brick? Masonry? is there external roughcast render?
3/. If a cavity wall has the cavity been retro-filled with cavity wall insulation?

Hi Ken.

Thanks for the reply.

The building is approximately 100 years old we believe.

I’m not too technical I’m afraid. The exterior is brick, covered with rendering. I don’t think it’s a cavity wall?
What 'treatment' has been applied here? What did the damp proofing company do? Why did they do anything? (i.e. what was your original problem, and what did they claim was the problem?)
Sponsored Links
Here’s part of the report. As you can tell, we were advised of the issues with the external defects, so it’s my fault I guess for not following that up.

Can I still get these four points done? Is it extortionate to do so? Have a baby due in february and this is pretty worrying.

the dark patch might be a cold corner with water penetration. it doesnt look like condensation but its early days after the plastering. what was uused to plaster that wall?
post a picture of the outside if you can.
is ther a c/breast nearby?

The report is a mess.it contradicts itself an talks rubish like strip the bathroom an kitchen to have a lookatthe walls.never heard of kitchen suites before.

youve taken a hit from these d/heads dont take another from the massive plasterin quote.
keep the rooms warm andTake your time an have the baby an in a year or so come back with your issues.
Babies dont wait but your house issues can.
What's behind the damp patch?

Your report talks about water not being dispersed properly and sub floor vents too low... have you got concrete/paving outside?
Does this touch the house wall or is there a gap?
If your house is victorian, then it's unlikely to have a cavity, it might be that damp proof course (DPC) has been bridged (i.e. covered up) this can allow damp to get past the DPC.

Can you post some pictures of the outside please?

Try not to worry!
I would go with both of the previous posts. Whoever wrote that specification doesn't know what they are doing, and it's likely that the pathway has been raised up outside.

When you treat rising damp, you hack off the plaster inside, drill and inject the silicone cream in to the mortar course, not the brickwork, apply a cement render with a waterproofer in it making sure it's washed sand not building sand, and then plaster as per normal. You don't leave the old plaster on there, as it could take a year to dry out, and the wall will stay damp until it does. Furthermore, if you leave the plaster there, then the damp can creep up and over the chemical DPC via the old plaster itself. Their last section on sound plaster is a contradiction, because if any plasters damp, then it need treating, and if it's not in the affected area, then it won't be damp.

Points 1 to 4 need dealing with, but without further indication and pictures of the outside, then it's difficult to asses, but I cant see them costing too much.

If you haven't paid them yet, then don't, and if you have, get them back in, and tell then to get it sorted, otherwise you want a refund.
The works you have had done by damp company are pointless unless the damp source has been identified and rectified, and if rectified then the damp work is again pointless as there is no damp issue.
In short you have been ripped off by another damp company cowboy.
You need a surveyor who specialises in damp problems to get a correct diagnosis.
You can’t diagnose damp in the building structure by testing the timber [as in your report].

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links