Damp problems - Missing connection btw cast iron downpipe and clay gully

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The basement in our victorian house is really damp, and after some inspection we believe we have narrowed the cause down to two things:

1. Blocked airvents = this is visible and confirmed
2. A missing connector between the cast iron downpipe at the front of the house and the clay gully underground

Regarding number 2, I dug around the downpipe to discover that it is not (and has never been at least in the lat 5-7 years) connected to the clay gully undeground in any way. A bunch of rocks were piled around it in lieu of an adequate connector, obviously on purpose; then hardpan and gravel was poured on top to cover it up.

Below, a picture of the basement, showing water pouring down the corner. The downpipe is right behind it.

PXL_20220918_104019533.MP.jpg

Also picture of cast iron downpipe. Really hard to measure as it goes right into the mouth of the gully, but after side a measure, it roughly seems to be about 5-6cm diameter. The dampness in the picture is mainly because I intentionally poured two buckets of water to see if it overflowed, it didn't. But the soil around all the front of the house, included this spot, is generally damp, with several worms in sight.

PXL_20220918_095040798.jpg

I will further dig around the gully at some point, and commission a cctv survey to confirm if the gully itself is broken underground. At first sight and on superficial inspection of the interior with my hand, it seems to be in one piece (but as you can see, the gap is narrow and I cannot reach deep enough).

Now, my question is: for a variety of reasons I cannot complete these ideal steps in the short term, so I am wondering, what is the best second thing I can do? Can I at least put a connector in place to make sure there is no spillage around the mouth of the gully? Or is it safe as it is? Note how the downpipe does go further down than the mouth. For the time being (1-2 months), can I leave it as it is? Should I be doing something urgently? I have put all the rocks/bricks around again to prevent animals from going in.

Picture from further away:
PXL_20220918_173244657.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Chances are that old Salt Glazed drainage will be knackered, and/or the joints either not made properly or have failed, allowing it to leak into and soak the surrounding soil. I would expect the pipes to pull apart by hand if you started digging, it's only the surrounding soil holdings things together.

I'd look at, in the short term, cutting the cast iron pipe off a bit, and getting some sort of temporary arrangement in place to get the water away from the house. (Assuming it is a rainwater downpipe!) Then at a later date, look at the options for a more permanent arrangement, with the water going to a sewer or soakaway.

Possible you may never get the cellar completely dry, (without additional expenditure on waterproofing), but getting the rainwater away from the house walls would be a good start.

Thank you.

Yes, it is rain water, and I have noticed most neighbors have diverted their downpipes to the street, instead of to their underground gulleys. I think I understand now why!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back