Damp problems wont go

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm desperate to solve my damp problems but can't get to the bottom of it.

I've got an end of terrace house, rendered, solid construction.

Upstairs at the front of the house I've got damp coming in through the walls but no signs of leaking guttering or drain pipes.

I've just recently (4months ago) has blown render removed and the WHOLE house grc rendered from top to bottom. I'm now convinced that the sides of the house won't allow damp through now because it's totally sealed!

My roof had cement tiles put on before I bought the house but not reinforced to handle the weight! The roof is therefor sagged and I wonder what amount if hassle people could get from water somehow getting into the tops of the Walls and soaking down?! Does this happen?

Is it a huge job stripping off a roof, putting some new timbers in, refelt and re tile?

Thanks for anyone that can shed some light or help in anyway

Sponsored Links
First a note of caution. I am not a builder and have very limited knowledge in this area (only what I have read).

How old is the building? My thoughts are if it is Victorian era then the mortar will be lime. This is to allow the building to breathe - I think even the bricks are not 100% waterproof.

If the render that has been applied is concrete based then the wall will no longer be able to breathe, which could cause the damp.

Thanks for your reply.

The propety is 1940's so after Victorian builds in my area.

I aggree... there WON'T be much moisture/damp able to escape through the walls inside to out now it's been sealed. I guess this is ok once the moisture has dried out on the inside as there won't be any penetrating into the house now. I know that living in the house will cause condensation and will will target the coldest walls in the house but we leave windows on storm catch most of the time to reduce this problem.

The bit I'm worried about is that water is getting into the tops of the bricks and soaking down. Is this a possibility or are there other possibilities of water getting in somehow?

Thanks

I'm afraid I have no idea!
Hopefully someone with some proper knowledge will come along and help out.

Sponsored Links
Lift a couple of tiles along the gutter of your roof and check the undertile felt. The felt should continue unbroken over the edge into the gutter. Also check gutters and downpipes.

If your wall previously got very wet it is possible that you have residual dampness. Typically it takes a month per inch of masonry to dry thoroughly.

Also check ventilation. Some of your dampness may be due to condensation.

This all assumes your grc render is fully breathable. If it's not then that might cause an ongoing problem.

Most people think that render will waterproof a house. It will not. Water will get in anyway - either by penetration or from internal vapour pressure. With a non breathable render it has nowhere to go and will cause dampness to build up within the wall structure.

Thanks for your reply.

The propety is 1940's or are there other possibilities of water getting in somehow?

Thanks
1940`s you surely have cavity walls - I`ve seen older places in E.sx. with cav. walls - :confused: : Where are you situated.

I think the build date is 1936 - it's definately a solid construction I know it is.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hmmmm.... I'll have a think about the information you've provided Jeds and I'll gather some more information and put it up on here a bit later.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back