Damp Proof Course Cream Injection for an Internal Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1880 Terraced House and around the fireplace in the back room (it's closed off) I've noticed a very slight dark line appearing about 30-50cms above the floor. I think this could be the start of rising damp so I've removed the skirting board and the plaster is in good condition (i.e. not blown) no salt deposits on it but is ever so slightly damp. The wall is fully internal (i.e. it's got next door attached to it) but I don't know whether I've got Rising Damp or it could just be water somehow getting down the chimney, or whether it's just as we've had so much rain the ground under the house (the house is built on almost no foundations!) is just saturated.

Should I just buy the Dryzone DPC Cream anyway and inject it in? I don't want to remove the plaster so can I just drill through the plaster and into the wall and inject it? Height wise can it be done just below the top of the skirting board so in effect I can just do it, stick the skirting board back over the top and leave it? Is it worth a go and if it doesn't work then I call in the professionals? Or once you've done it once does it cause loads of problems if you then need to do it again?

Sorry so many questions - would be great to know....

Sponsored Links
Ventilate the flue(s) top and bottom, this will dry it out. An airbrick-sized hole is suitable, you can put a plastic grill over it for neatness.

Magic lotions are a waste of time and money, doubly so if you pay a pro.

Have a look under the floorboards for signs of water, and verify that your airbricks are clear front and back to give airflow.

There is a faint chance that you or your neighbour once had a back-boiler in the fireplace, and the pipes have been left connected and are leaking. Look in the loft and airing cupboard for an old tank and old iron pipes.

Look for a wet chimney in the loft.

Post some pics for more ideas.

Brilliant - thanks for this - funnily enough the old man has just said to drill some holes in the boarded up flue and the hot air from the house rising up should dry it out...could be the cheapest solution I've ever heard...fingers crossed! It's funny as all the other walls are fine so hopefully it will be just this...

In addition to Johns note, check the type of chimney pots you have , should be vented capped, and state of the lead work around chimney.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back