Damp proof course for shed advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I've ordered a shed for my garden from my local timber merchant. It's a 10ft x 10ft apex and will look similar to the pic on this website
http://www.shedsworld.co.uk/p/Winchester_10ft_x_10ft_(3.05m_x_3.05m)_Shiplap_Workshop.htm

but it will be better quality.

I've got the base ready by laying a weed supressing membrane and then slabbing over it in a 10' x 10' square. The slabs are higher than the surrounding ground level so that the rain can run of them.

The shed is being assembled by the company when they deliver it to me in a couple of weeks. It will be sitting on timber bearers but I wondered if I should install some kind of damp proof membrane and how I should go about it, as I'm not really clued up about these matters.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome pob82

i personally assuming you have the height place a brick or 2 on each slab with a bit off felt or dpm then the timber
this will keep all timbers off the ground and allow air to circulate

Hi,

I dont think height is going to be an issue but I think these guys will be sitting the hut on wooden bearers, so there will be a gap between the slabs and the shed floor anyway.

Do you think I should put a damp proof membrane on the underside of the hut floor or something like that to prevent moisture raising up inside the hut?

cheers

you must always get wood off the ground as thats the bit that will rot
ask them the exact positioning off the bearers and place the bricks accordingly topped with felt/dpm

you may get away with felt on slabs but not worth the risk as it only takes a slab to sink a few mm to form a natural lake with the timber sitting in it with a brick you have around 65mm to play with :D

Sponsored Links
I doesn't get wet under a shed. I've had mine on slabs for about 15 years.

http://www.shedsworld.co.uk/p/Winchester_10ft_x_10ft_(3.05m_x_3.05m)_Shiplap_Workshop.htm

Do people really buy s**t like this ?

If your pavers are the same as the floor size then I would do like big-all says 3 or 4 continuous 10' rows of brick or blocks with some dpc on top.

If it anything like that in the link then you'll need more rows of block because it'll be like a trampoline until the floor breaks because the timber is undersized.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back