Damp Proof Injection.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently sorting out a damp patch at home around the base of my chimney, I've read up on what I need to do to remedy it and I've sourced everything I need, including the damp proof cream to inject. I have done a bit of research on to how to apply the damp proofing and on every guide I have seen it shows it being injected into holes drilled directly into the mortar between the bricks and yet in every example I've seen in the real world it is injected into holes in the middle of the bricks themselves (I assume drilled down at an angle to meet the mortar).
So, which is the best way to do it?

Sponsored Links
Mostly Harmless said:
So, which is the best way to do it?
Yes, don't do it :!:

Repair or renew flashing around the chimney, repoint the mortar etc, find out why it's damp, then deal with it

Not wishing to fall out with you Masona, and I agree that he shouldn't be considering injection at this stage, but don't you think that if the problem is at the base of the chimney, it is highly unlikely to due to the flashings.
He could simply check this out by looking inside the roof as this is were the moisture would show first.
I would be asking is it a solid floor, and has the chimney been sealed off and then go from there.

Sponsored Links
anobium said:
Not wishing to fall out with you Masona, and I agree that he shouldn't be considering injection at this stage,
No problem, you're entitle to disagree, I generally believe that 99% damp problem can be dealt with without having to use injection treatments.
but don't you think that if the problem is at the base of the chimney, it is highly unlikely to due to the flashings.
He could simply check this out by looking inside the roof as this is were the moisture would show first.
I would be asking is it a solid floor, and has the chimney been sealed off and then go from there.
Could be but a photo will be clearer to see

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back