Damp proof membrane

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, moved into a flat with concrete tiles and it wasnt until i was reading my friends laminate instructions that i heard about dpm.

Google led me here to quite a few posts of liquid dpm however on b&q they have a plastic sheet dpm which looks easier and cheaper. Walls have already set me back without furniture and flooring for 7 months so dont want something thay takes ages.

Really dont understand this dpm stuff but first flat so want to get it right and not alot of money.

What really does my head in is that i saved up for laminate from CarpetR***t, the guy came round to measure & look at underlay options and never once mentioned dpm.

Oh also if i was to go for carpet (hearts set on laminate though) would i still need dpm?

Thanks.

-k-

Sponsored Links
You'll only need a damp proof membrane if your property is actually suffering from rising damp.....have you any reason to suspect it has? If there's no damp, then its a fair bet it already has one.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Laminates do need this sort of underlay, and it has limited properties of sound proofing and giving a cushion for the new laminate if the floor is rather uneven.
It will work as a form of DPC but as you are on the 1st floor anyway you shouldn't need that property unless you have serious damp!
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back