Damp proofing guarantee query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My Mother had some damp proofing done on the understairs cupboard 3.5 years ago. The floor was wet, where you could see liquid at the surface. This company covered up this soggy wet floor with a plastic sheeting and placed a slurry system on top of this. He then applied a plaster system to the walls of this cupboard.

Now, there is damp coming up through this slurry system on the far left of the floor, and now the kitchen wall which is adjacent to the right hand side of the understairs cupboard has signs of rising damp.

The company is blaming a suspected leak somewhere, i.e., at the kitchen wall site, and that where there is damp coming through the slurry system on the left side of the floor, it is due to the floor under the slurry system is sloping towards it.

Under the guarantee, he said he will just replace the slurry system. It will cost money to remove the damp ground under the slurry system.

I wasn't around when he did the job 3.5 years ago, and it was just my Mum who is elderly together with 2 other elderly friends.
Should he have professionally suggested removal of this soggy wet ground before applying the slurry system?
If there is damp already there, surely take out the cause rather than covering it up?! We still have the original quotation, and it never quoted removal of this soggy wet ground.

What can be done? What should this company do?
Thanks for any advice and help.

Sponsored Links
This is impossible to answer without knowing more about your mother's house.

1. Why was the ground soggy and wet in the first place?
2. How old is the house?
3. What is its contruction?
4. Is it detached?
5. Does it have any damp proof course anywhere?
6. Is the cupboard close to any outside wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back