damp query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm not much of a DIY-er, but wondered if anyone could give some advice on damp/plastering matters.

We recently paid for damp problems in our bedroom (in the basement of an old Victorian house) to be fixed, and moved out for two weeks for the work to be done.

The builder (whom we hadn't used before and who couldn't give us a damp-proof guarantee, but who came highly recommended by a friend) did the work, redecorated beautifully, and was completely on schedule.

He used the Sika-1 system and dealt with damp on a side wall, around an old (removed) chimney breast. However, a couple of weeks later, the paint had blistered above the (new) skirting board, and there were some cracks. He came back promptly and repainted, explaining that because we'd had to move back in quickly, the plaster hadn't had enough time to dry sufficiently.

This did not solve the problem. By a couple of weeks later, the paint blistered again (furry/fluffy patches). Our builder again responded quickly, coming back to paint on a coat of sealant.

So far, the paintwork now seems fine, but I have noticed the carpet at the corner of the room smells damp (below the skirting board, where one of the blistered patches was). I put a tissue there (under the carpet) last night and this morning it was wet so there is obviously something coming through. (This wasn't a problem before the work was done, or not that I had noticed.)

My question is: what action should I take next? Our builder is coming back this week to repaint over the sealant, but I am slightly losing faith that he has fixed the problem - or knows how to do so. He seems extremely professional and helpful but the leak under the carpet has me worried. I am wondering whether the whole job needs to be redone.

Obviously we should have gone for a contractor who had the insurances to give us a guarantee, but we've had damp-proof work done in a basement in a previous house, and the contractor there provided a guarantee but did an awful job that took six months to sort out: hence our decision to go for someone who seemed very professional and came recommended.

Any suggestions or advice would be most welcome - thanks.

Sponsored Links
(Obviously we should have gone for a contractor who had the insurances to give us a guarantee, but we've had damp-proof work done in a basement in a previous house, and the contractor there provided a guarantee but did an awful job that took six months to sort out: hence our decision to go for someone who seemed very professional and came recommend..)

The phrase "once bitten " comes to mind here!! But that doesn't help your predicament,,,,So you have had some one come around and use a "Sika 1 system". I dont know anything about this system (but a few of the lads on here have mentioned "Sika" products before and I have heard of Sika w/proofer which you add to render mix. I used to be a Sovereign agent and did a lot of dry-rot treatment, woodworm spraying and afew "tanking" jobs that involved making below ground basements water tight. The system we used to use was called Sovereign Hey'di K11 system. And it was very successful. It stopped the water penetrating the walls and floor by creating a water-proof barrier. If you have a basement that is below ground level then there is a good chance you are going to get a damp problem.Which by the sound of it you have.To stop the damp penertrating you have to "tank"
the walls and the floor. By the look of your post this guy has been painting something on the walls and it looks like the damp is finding other places to show it self. Hence the job has not been approached in the proper manner. He has not eliviated your problem .You have payed the builder now he is chasing his tail, If he fixed the skirting boards on with fixings(screws or nails) then he would have punctured the membrane he had put in. And also did he put a dpc in and a new screeded floor? Which doesn't sound like it as you have damp coming up through the floor.I know this isn't going to help your situation by saying this .But when he said he couldn't guarantee his work then you should have walked away!! When I was a Sovereign agent our work was gauranteed for 30 years ,but even now what ever work or whoever I do work for I gaurantee that any problems I will rectify them with no obligation and I should imagine that most of the lads on here work under the same principle...The only advice I can give you (I know the horse has bolted)is to either talk to trading standards or CAB. or ask this guy for some kind of refund, and let him walk away or tell him that you are going to trading standards or CAB so how does he want to play it? If you do decide to let him walk away make sure that you make yourself fully aware of what the problem you have got entails and get on google and find out what is the cause and what is the remedy then be totally clued up when you employ some reputable firm to put it right .And when they do start the work make sure you hold back a retention till the problem is fully solved. I also think that it should not of been decorated as soon as it was, A damp wall will dry out usually 1mm a day or 1" a month , and during this period that it is drying out you will get "fluff or efflorvesence salts" appearing on the wall. And you just brush it off till it stops appearing. I am sorry that you have paid for a job that has not been done ,but like I say clue yourself up before you part with your money...
:(

What makes you think that this guy has done anything wrong? It sounds like a leak to me - not damp.

Pull up boards and check ground - if you have a serious leak then your house will sink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back