Damp reported by surveyor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of buying a 100 year old house. The surveyor (from the bank) said the property was suffering from damp and thus undervalued the property by 5k from what the agreed price was. The seller has agreed to lower the price by 5k. So I can proceed with the mortgage

So, with regards to the damp, it's on my head. Firstly I didn't notice any damp when I visited the property. The house is located near a river. How can I do a proper check on it? Could it be the surveyor is just being too nitpicky?

Sponsored Links
post some photos of the walls that are said to be damp. Inside and out, all the way up to the gutters, and all the way down to the ground.

pay special attention to drains, gutters, downpipes and waterpipes, and their proximity to the damp.

Show airbricks and the DPC, especially if it has been hidden or buried.

It is normal for hundred-year-old houses to have leaking plumbing, broken drains, blocked airbricks, and bridged dampcourses.

I will post pics (eventually - probably when I get the keys!).. I'm about 100 miles away at the moment!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back